Great Wargaming Survey

Started by steve_holmes_11, 02 August 2021, 06:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve_holmes_11

fsn

Done.

Only 3 periods? Who can pick only 3 periods?

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Done.

Though given the number of sections where the true answer was all of these but you had to pick 3 I'm not sure I've added much to the sum of wargaming knowledge.

Also "what do you mostly ..." When? Last week, right now, next week? I'll guarantee the answers will be vastly different!

"How much do you plan to spend this year" - I suspect "How much did you plan to spend last year", "How much did you actually spend" and "How much did you tell your SO you spent" might be more revealing :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Steve J

Filled and will be interested to see the results.

jimduncanuk

As usual, a crap survey, sounds like the composer hasn't been a wargamer for long.
My Ego forbids a signature.

mmcv

Done. I suspect it's been kept fairly general. Seemed to be the main topic was around return to clubs/conventions. Interesting didn't really have an option for anyone who hasn't been to one before, just assumed everyone had...

John Cook

I wonder who collates and analyses all the returns, and what they do with the results?

howayman

i think its just a method of advertising their news letter.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Did it yesterday, Could have ticked far more than 3 periiods as well John.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Norm

Done. Since this is an ongoing survey, there are previous years to benchmark against and I imagine that a change in wargaming behaviour due to covid might give quite a telling result.

I appreciate their 5 Euro voucher and have downloaded two early PDF issue of their magazine (adding 2.90 Euros to get the pair), which are chock full reads.

Frankly, anything that keeps wargame magazines relevant or topical in the modern internet wargame world is welcome and for them no doubt necessary and so here we are talking about WSS, well done them.   :)

Steve J

I think it gives a guide to magazines and manufacturers which periods, scales/sizes etc are more popular than others. Jonathan Freitag does some excellent analysis of the data over on his Blog, which I find an interesting breakdown.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

To be fair they do do some interesting analysis:
https://www.karwansaraypublishers.com/wss_gws/

I remember last year there being discussion on collection size vs scale choice and they do a post on that.

DecemDave

Filled it in with push for 10mm over that 28mm nonsense. I mean if you are going to build skirmish forces instead of armies, have the decency to do it in 54mm.    :P

FierceKitty

Quote from: DecemDave on 03 August 2021, 08:28:48 AM
Filled it in with push for 10mm over that 28mm nonsense. I mean if you are going to build skirmish forces instead of armies, have the decency to do it in 54mm.    :P

Dave's a lieutenant now, but he'll make a fine general one of these days.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.