Boxer Uprising 1900

Started by alanl, 27 July 2021, 08:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanl

27 July 2021, 08:29:34 PM Last Edit: 27 July 2021, 08:35:28 PM by alanl
Anyone any suggestions for proxies for the Imperial Chinese troops, Boxers and International Relief forces?  

I am looking to game actions involving the relief forces, rather than the siege of the Legations.

I saw mention on a list from 2013 that it was in the top 10 requests: any chance of this range being produced?

GrumpyOldMan

27 July 2021, 10:48:29 PM #1 Last Edit: 27 July 2021, 10:55:06 PM by GrumpyOldMan
Hello alanl

I think I answered some of your question on the 10mm facebook page, now you have to put up with me again, sorry  :).

With relief forces you are spoilt for choices (apart from the Americans), there are French sailors in the FPW range (FPW12) and more colonial types than you can shake a stick at (if that's you' re idea of fun). Definitely have a look at the 1890's NWF range and the 1899-1902 Boer War Range. Actually some of the turban wearing Afghans could probably find their way into Boxer or undress Imperials. Also the Boers would make good armed civilians and there are unarmed civilians in the Indian Mutiny range. The SCW regular army summer with sidecaps could stand in for British marines. The German East Africa Sailors are good generic types. The 1905 Russo-Japanese war figures are worth looking at. Maybe some of the Naval Brigade types could be re-purposed as Americans  :-

Of course the hard part is going to be the Chinese. Troops with turbans can sneak into those forces, maybe some Mongols, shaved head mahdists can have the loing pigtail added, but not much else apart from the Indian Mutiny figures. You could have a look at the Renaissance Polish figures - their flat cap sort of looks like the Chinese cap if you squint and hold them at arms length  :).

Not much joy, sorry.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

mmcv

Would Japanese peasants be any use? FEU11-13? Few conical hats in there may pass.

alanl

Many thanks for the suggestions.  Looks like the main problem for the International powers will be the Americans in their distinctive headgear.

fsn

That reminds me ... Spanish-American War, Mexican Revolution etc.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

On the question of American troops, I went back and had a look at period illustrations:-

It looks like the gaiters are not necessarily compulsory and sometimes blanket rolls were worn. Maybe some BW39 Naval Brigade figures could be press ganged?

Maybe some US Civil War confederates could be US Marines that have 'lost' their gaiters.

While I'm tootling around the Civil War, how about some zouaves, either in fez or turban, for Imperial troops

All I can think of at the moment.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan