AWI gaps in range / wish list

Started by Wonkey Donkeys, 02 September 2021, 08:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wonkey Donkeys

After seeing the new sculpts from Clib  would anyone like to share their thoughts on what would be great to have to add to the range?

Westmarcher

I would like to see the peaked leather cap on the Continental cavalry instead of the crested brass ones.

Doesn't appear to be too radical (same dollies/sculpts but new headgear)?

Admittedly my sources are not extensive, but the bulk of the American cavalry (Continental Army and State units) appears to have worn the leather cap. Certainly in the first half of the war, it appears that only one of the 4 Continental Dragoon regiments (Sheldon's 2nd) wore the brass helmet and even so, this did not appear until 1778 at the earliest. 
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Wonkey Donkeys

Yes I agree that would be cool.
I would be interested in mounted General figs for German contingent and French too. And mounted militia.

John Cook

Quote from: Wonkey Donkeys on 03 September 2021, 12:40:08 PM
Yes I agree that would be cool.
I would be interested in mounted General figs for German contingent and French too. And mounted militia.

Are there not suitably clad figures among the British and American mounted officers that could be painted to represent German and French?  A single figure of the relatively obscure kind you describe would be, I think, hardly a viable commercial proposition.

Wonkey Donkeys

Hi John

Doing a bit of digging around I would tend on reflection agree on the mounted command solution.

Apart from mounted militia or Continental cavalry in caps are there any obvious omissions that cannot be easily remedied by a creative paint job.

I had thought QR hussars might be good but there were too few in number to justify perhaps?

:D

John Cook

Good luck with new figures, Clibs are stunning I must admit and the AWI and LOA are potential personal projects but in the end, it is always a matter of money.  I suspect Clib will make anything you like, as long as he gets paid for it.  In order for it to be produced commercially the figures, would I think, have to have the potential for significant sales in relatively large numbers.  I'm guessing that is why most manufacturers have large lines of ACW, Napoleonics and WW2.  If I was starting up in the business that is what I'd produce before anything else.  How the viability of other ranges is arrived is unclear to me and I suspect it is not an exact science.  Leon could probably explain the economics of it all and how decisions about what is produced, and what is not, are made.

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!