Grids?

Started by Norm, 21 June 2018, 11:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Leman on 31 July 2021, 09:35:40 AM
I think grids are great. They certainly help get most of the rainwater off the streets.
Nobby - coat for you to chew
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

MSawyer

Funny you mention grids, as I am trying to get back into wargaming with Bob Cordery's The Portable Wargame.
Keep your stick on the ice.

hammurabi70

Quote from: Norm on 27 July 2021, 07:22:27 AM
C&C now has a Medieval module. I am not aware of any medieval figure specific rules that are designed for grids other than the ones put out by Kallistra. It might be worth scanning through the back catalogue a Second Chance Games for a true boardgame system that covers the medieval system and then taking that to your figure games.

Having done Ancients and Napoleonics via ZOOM my opponent wanted to try Medieval but he was mightily unimpressed.  I think there are a few gridded rules, is not To The Strongest one of those or is it Lion Rampant?

paulr

To the Strongest is definitely grid based
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Raider4

Lion Rampant is not.

Leman

The Peter Pig rules, The Bloody Barons (which is Bloody Barons II) are my rules of choice for this conflict. They are an unusual grid based system as the grids are 12"x 9" on a 4'x3' table. Units/contingents/retinues operate together in battles, with a battle taking up a grid. They are very specific to the WotR and have cavalry rules pertinent to that conflict i.e. they only appear when a cavalry charge is launched, do their stuff (or not) then disappear. The commanders of the battles play an important role and the rulebook (available for download or hardcopy) has a scenario for every battle from 1455 to 1487. The rules are useable with any scale not just 15mm.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Steve J

I was checking these rules out last night Andy, as I fancied some grid based gaming for this period. I might check them out if they're at Partizan this year.

Orcs

Quote from: Leman on 07 September 2021, 10:22:55 AM
The Peter Pig rules, The Bloody Barons (which is Bloody Barons II) are my rules of choice for this conflict. They are an unusual grid based system as the grids are 12"x 9" on a 4'x3' table. Units/contingents/retinues operate together in battles, with a battle taking up a grid. They are very specific to the WotR and have cavalry rules pertinent to that conflict i.e. they only appear when a cavalry charge is launched, do their stuff (or not) then disappear. The commanders of the battles play an important role and the rulebook (available for download or hardcopy) has a scenario for every battle from 1455 to 1487. The rules are useable with any scale not just 15mm.

Has the new edition solved the problem of the unit commanders being almost impossible to kill so you end up with Unit commander bases slugging it out all over the table?
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leman

Unit leader bases simply show the quality of the unit. It is the battle leaders who take casualties. If in the grid rectangle they must save on the 5th hit (2+). However his presence (or her, if you throw Margaret into the mix) can be used to encourage melees.  He can add one dice and saves on 3+, or two dice and save on a 4+ if present in a square.  However if he is personally leading the meleeing unit then adding 1D6 reduces his save to a 4+ and 2D6 reduces it to a 5 plus. He still takes the 5th hit and he still saves on a 2+ in shooting (this chap is going to be wearing very high quality armour). Leading from the front does provide other advantages to a unit, thus making it worth taking the risk, after all the leaders of the time did this in almost every battle.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!