converting figures, advice sought

Started by Hurrah, 28 January 2011, 08:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurrah

MODS! If this is in the wrong place, do please move it!

OK, Being dragged with no kicking or screaming what so ever into gaming A Very British Civil War (1938). We are all going for 10/12mm forces. One I was pondering was a naval landing force. So sailors with the square rig, WW1 webbing, lee-Enfields, lewis guns etc. Some in caps, some in helmets.

However there is a distinct lack of suitable figures. The Russian naval rifleman SV19 is the only apparent close match to what I seek, other naval troops (almost all Pendrakens) are obviously wearing full brimmed straw sun hats of the 19th century type (which could be useful, but not what I am after).

My hope is that these will also do duty as a Royal Naval landing party in other conflicts (or even Aerodrome security for WW1 RNAS bases).

So, I was considering converting some other figures, head swaps in this scale will be a bit beyond me. I was thinking WW1 British infantry, trimming the peaks on the caps and where suitable, adding a square rig collar made of PVA glue soaked paper. Has anyone tried this? Or am I going the wrong direction with this? Any recommendation for better material for the added square rig?

Ta in advance.

capthugeca

So far my only conversions are minotaurs which I think are a little pre-BCW so I can't offer much in the way of wisdom.
If head changes are a bit beyond at this scale, you may find  PVA soaked paper the same. How about the smallest of blobs of modeliling putty?
One other thing I used was a small bit of metal sheet from a tube of garlic puree.
Protects them from vampires at the same time!  ;)
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

snafu

your best method is green stuff ( putty ). once youve practised with this stuff its relatively easy to use. get some and have a go, it will also open the possability of you doing other convertions once you get the knack.
cant help with the naval infantry, pics hard to find ! perhaps if you could find us a few suitable pics I could knock a few masters for you. Il pass them on to Dave for casting providing of course he is guaranteed a number of sales.  ;)
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!

republic of tolworth

Hiya Hurrah.
I can lend you some green stuff, or even give the modeling a try for you.
I've done a few conversions on my VBCW troops, nothing major yet.
And a few with Clibs AWI figs.

Like snafu, I might need a picture or 2.

Meet up next time my ILP/Anarchists get a slapping from the BUF :D

Mind you if someone else makes some masters and pendraken casts 'em, I'll buy them ;)
League of the dayglow Aztec Empire.

Hurrah

28 January 2011, 11:14:03 PM #4 Last Edit: 28 January 2011, 11:24:49 PM by Hurrah
@capthugeca  I like the idea of the squeezy tube metal. What I am looking to do is just create the impression of the square rig across the yoke of the shoulders and let the paint do the rest.

@snafu  While the idea of have some made for casting is nice, I fear they would be rather too niche to sell many

@rot Thanks for the offer of the green stuff, I do need to restock my model supplies anyway.

What I am aiming is something like this:

Classic royal naval sailors of the first half of the 20th century given a gun, some old webbing and told to guard the port facilities, board that suspect fishing boat etc. tin 'at optional!

or this

http://www.toysoldiersgallery.com/zencartstore/index.php?main_page=products_all&disp_order=6&page=3

sixsideddice

I must say, the whole subject does look really interesting and very unusual (always a plus to be a pioneer).

Six  :)