Visualization

Started by T13A, 11 July 2021, 03:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider4

Quote from: Ithoriel on 12 July 2021, 02:43:28 PM
And books and radio plays definitely have better visuals than films and TV programmes!

Which is why Hitchhiker's worked so well as a book & radio show, and was truly terrible on the TV.

The BBC special effects budget will never compete with the graphics chip in your head.

fsn

Hear! Hear!

For me the "Lord of the Rings" is the Radio version with Ian Holm and Michael Horden.  Got me through some bad times at uni.

Only problem with radio is having to describe everything "oh no! He's hanging on with just one hand! He's slipping!" *swanee whistle* *watermelon splat"
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

John Cook

This is the weirdest thread for some time!

d_Guy

Prepare for more weirdness.

When I play real opponents it is simply a game without deep visualization. I do enjoy when a narrative emerges or some event seems "realistic" to my sensibilities. Most of the time I am too caught up in trying to win and not looking like an indecisive buffoon (  ;) ).

Ah, but when I play solo I hover above the battlespace like a capricious god, dispensing curses or favors upon any figure or unit that has momentarily caught my fancy. These curses and favors have no efficacy, however. They never alter the narrative the Fates spin out for me. Although capricious I am also remote. The outcome means nothing to me. I hear the sounds, see the flash of steel and smell the reeking smoke. I never ever see the blood and gore. I simple take notes.
Sleep with clean hands ...

mmcv

I'd say I definitely build a narrative as I go and somewhat visualise the events unfolding. I don't necessarily see myself on the table but rather an observer of the unfolding events. I tend to think "what would this commander do?" rather than "what would I do?" It would still be fairly abstracted though, not as detailed a visual as many here.

I do mostly play solo though so that lets me get more info the narrative flow as I go. When playing others it's usually been teaching them or trying to get them into it, so more focused on what the most fun/interesting outcome is then add narrative later.

Ithoriel

Quote from: John Cook on 12 July 2021, 09:29:20 PM
This is the weirdest thread for some time!

That's saying something in this forum!! :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno II

Quote from: Raider4 on 12 July 2021, 03:37:19 PM
Which is why Hitchhiker's worked so well as a book & radio show, and was truly terrible on the TV.
The BBC special effects budget will never compete with the graphics chip in your head.

This is SO true......Just gone through the whole H2G2 radio shows, while I've ben pushing putty.

As Nobby says...The Beeb's radio version of LOTR is a belter, too.

(Though that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the films......even with the way they 'tweaked' the story in various places.)

Cheers - Phil. :)