Who wants freebies!

Started by Leon, 28 January 2011, 07:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

Quote from: GordonY on 09 February 2011, 03:39:30 PM
Well my APCs arrived today and I tested out the FillaGlue on one, sorry but I'm a bit underwhelmed with it. I found it a bit thick and too slow drying, every time I thought it had a good grip I'd put the model down which then promptly fell apart again. I went back to my cheap and nasty Poundland superglue and built the rest of the APCs using that. I'll use it up sticking figures to bases, it cant go wrong with that.

Thanks for that Gordon, Poundland it is then!

Quote from: Sandinista on 09 February 2011, 07:20:42 PM
Well I've finally used the Filla-Glu Instant LV. I found it runnier than Loctite and Wilkinson’s own brand and due to that i felt i was using more, also as it was runnier it seemed messier as well.
Though importantly it appears to stick stuff as well as the others so I can’t say there is any difference between the three on that.
Looking at prices it may be a good option as it is listed at £4.08 for a 20g bottle whereas 10g of Loctite super glue is £4.28 in Wilkinson.
The Gel Undo, again listed at £4.08. I used it and wondered why, when warm water and/or a scalpel/file works just the same.
I’ll pass both onto R.o.T & Hurrah to see what they think of them.

Cheers Sandinista!

It makes me wonder how our current superglue would compare against them.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

republic of tolworth

Update soon.
Work has gone tits up for me so not got a chance to do much with figs >:(
League of the dayglow Aztec Empire.

Maenoferren

Have decided to cut a camel in half and see if this stuff will glue it back together, the things I do for my art  :D.
Still not 100% sure why you might need black superglue though :-\
I have had a play around with the glue.
As it is a sample bottle, my initial comments may not apply to the ones you can buy.
the bottle is small and quite thick plastic which means you have to press really hard which in turn makes it difficult to be accurate, the nozzle opening is a couple of mm across so you can get a bit of a splurge as you suddenly get the flow moving.
I ran a test on a 28mm wierd war German. Accuracy was a problem, I got some big splodges of glue, which is taking a while to set, long enough for my fingers to hurt hanging onto the figure. 3 minutes later I can still move the arms, now to be fair this might be more to do with the amount of glue rather than any issues with the product.

still a bit of movement and I cant say how long it has been.
The glue when it comes out seems quite viscous, but once you spread it out it sint as thick as it first seems.
on the whole I am not to sure whether it is any different to the superglue I have, apart from being black that is.
I will have another play about with it and let you know where that leads
cheers
Stephen
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

12 February 2011, 01:28:03 AM #33 Last Edit: 12 February 2011, 01:30:54 AM by mad lemmey
It was 'wicking', thanks Leon.
It certainly wicks, very liquid and it certainly wicks, the 'powda' does stop the spread!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

nikharwood

13 February 2011, 12:28:17 PM #34 Last Edit: 13 February 2011, 09:22:14 PM by nikharwood
Finally got round to testing mine [not on figures, but prompted by one of the cats knocking a horse ornament off the windowsill. Said cat made a funny noise as it was launched out into the rain a minute ago.]

Right: I've got Instant HV [High Viscosity] & the Kicka-Pen [Primer & Activator in one]

What can I say? I've used accelerators for superglue before - which have come in spray form - which (a) stinks and (b) goes absolutely fecking everywhere: so to have it in pen form [with a chisel nib like a highlighter] is *great*; not too smelly either.

The glue itself is nice & thick and is controllable through a decent nozzle; bond was fast too with the Kicka.

All in all: top-notch, very nice indeed: and completely essential for those multi-part models which can be a nightmare to assamble.

Steve J

A free and easy way to kick of super-glue is as follows:

- Breath heavily over one of the parts you want to glue together. The moisture from your breath acts as a 'kicker' to the glue (it's the moisture in your skin that makes your fingers bond instantly!) and doesn't stink the place out, unless you have halitosis.
- Apply a thin coat of glue to the other part.
- Put two pieces together and wait for a few seconds and they should have started to bond. Leave for a few minutes and everything should be fine.

Leon

Quote from: nikharwood on 13 February 2011, 12:28:17 PM
What can I say? I've used accelerators for superglue before - which have come in spray form - which (a) stinks and (b) goes absolutely fecking everywhere: so to have it in pen form [with a chisel nip like a highlighter] is *great*; not too smelly either.

The glue itself is nice & thick and is controllable through a decent nozzle; bond was fast too with the Kicka.

All in all: top-notch, very nice indeed: and completely essential for those multi-part models which can be a nightmare to assamble.

Cheers Nik!

Kind of a mixed bag so far on the reviews.   :-\
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!