Tell Techno.

Started by Techno, 22 August 2018, 01:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno II

Thanks, Both. :-bd

Effectively, does that mean all Mauser pistols would be classed as 'broom handled', or are there any more variations ?

(My Man from U.N.C.L.E cap gun was a Mauser.....though I didn't know that, at the time ! ;))

Cheers - Phil. :)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

It's one specific weapon, the C96, remained in use until 1961? (so Wiki says !)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno II

Thanks, Ian. :-bd

Heedless Horseman

Quote from: Techno II on 11 September 2021, 08:24:44 AM
Thanks, Both. :-bd
Effectively, does that mean all Mauser pistols would be classed as 'broom handled', or are there any more variations ?
(My Man from U.N.C.L.E cap gun was a Mauser.....though I didn't know that, at the time ! ;))

Ha, Ha. Phil... I also had  a Daisy  U.N.C.L.E Mauser, (From memory... the heroes used cut down Walther P38s... but VERY LONG time since I saw the films!). When it broke, was replaced by 'Young Winston' version in strange bronze paint! Wasn't all that keen on the Mauser... also had a toy P38 and TWO Lugers... (one 'gold plated 'Man With The Golden Gun'? gift from older  cousins).  The 'ordinary' Luger was cap  'weapon of choice'... way better than 'Cowboy Guns'!
(There is 'something' about a Luger... it just 'fits' your hand... had a replica later on!).
Broom Handle Mausers... Google it... HUGE numbers and several variations... but all had the Broom Handle grip.
I cannot figure why it lasted so long. When 'new' it had power , mag capacity and 'accuracy', but 'big' awkward and bad to maintain. Other pistols much 'better'.. in some ways.
Use in Movies? Was it ''High Plains Drifter' Western? Ok for period. 'Young Winston' certainly had one. But  have also seen 60s 'spy' films and later TV series where 'bad guys' would tote one... rather silly... but props dept... 'Baddiie's' gun!
Star Wars base for 'blaster'... along with Stirlings and MG42s!

(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)