Country File

Started by Heedless Horseman, 13 June 2021, 02:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno II

Going back to the countryside......

I think we must have had an 'explosion' in the gray squirrel population over here.....'all of a sudden' there seem to be oodles, and I mean LOTS of squirrel corpses flattened on the road between home, and Cardigan. I've even seen one outside the back door attacking the peanuts in the bird feeder.
That's the first I've one I've seen at Techno Towers for YEARS.

Cheers - Phil. :)

Steve J

We now have a regular grey squirrel to our garden, the first time in the 17 odd years we lived here >:(. We have loads in our local woods and park too.

Heedless Horseman

Greys... well, local Red  Support Groups will NOT be happy... unless 'flattening' the Geys! lol.
Might be worth contacting... could be a 'new variant' of the 'pox' about.
Beginnings of Autumn... feed, feed, feed!

Would like the little Reds to re-appear, hut haven't seen anything for couple of years.
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Techno II

I've never seen a red 'in the flesh'...I'm very envious !

Heedless Horseman

We used to have regukars about 20yrs ago... but singles. Put up boxes... but no takers apart from Wasps and Starlings. Birdnut feeder about 10ft from back window... so used to see in various 'contotrions'.... and that 'TAIL'!
One seemed to building a Drey next door... but prob. just a temp 'Flat'.

Only seen One Grey local... possibly another 'migrant'. But no recent views of Reds... probably too much Tree lopping. And , OUR Scots Pine NEEDS to come down... 'leans' towards house... just haven't got round to that yet.

Heedless Horseman

As a 'little Good Thing'... 'something' has flown out of what I had assumed to be an unused 'Cheap', Wall birdbox... on evening Dog walk.  Sometimes there are 'plusses'.

FierceKitty

Quote from: Techno II on 19 September 2021, 08:57:20 AM
I've never seen a red 'in the flesh'...I'm very envious !

Not at all unusual in central Europe. Cute little chaps.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Heedless Horseman

Toads. Think there was one in Garage once... long time back. Usually some frogs around and used to spawn in stream... but not much chance there. Was a spell when there were Newts in garden pond... but think Dragonfly Larvae will have did for progeny.
Now pond partially cleaned out... more chance for something...  Frogs, anyway.
Do others see Toads much?

Steve J

No toads here, but plenty of frogs.

Techno II

Both around here.

The 'bog' over the road is a haven for them, adders and grass snakes. and sadly, at the right time of year, the tiny little biting midges.

Heedless Horseman

Be thankful it it is there. As a kid... 'wet' meadow / rough grazing was just across the road. Been Housing Estate  for 30+ years. Used to pick  'Dog Daisies'  there for Ma. NOW... more t***s with LOUD cars,  Garden / Xmas lights... not many Pheasants around now.
Still. OUR estate was once  OUR meadow, too... so shouldn't whinge. Just wish 'Boom' in  'Development' prices had been just couple of years earlier1  ;D :(

Techno II

The midges very rarely bother yours truly......Von obviously tastes much nicer than I do.

The midges love her to bits ! (Poor lass).

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

They have tatste Phil. To busy dodging idiots to see any wild life apart from 2 sheep, but Derwent Water was very low.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Steve J

I always get bitten, my wife, who is African, they leave alone :(.

Steve J

I popped into my old workplace today to take part in some research, the first time in 18 months or so. By God I realised how dirty central Bristol is and there is no greenery where I used to work, which really struck me after spending so much time outdoors since I retired. It felt very depressing to be indoors in somewhere so gloomy and devoid of greenery.

Fortunately this malaise was remedied by sitting in the garden, watching the butterflies and a warbler fly past and settle in a tree. Magical!