Country File

Started by Heedless Horseman, 13 June 2021, 02:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elliesdad

I'd say that "two bees" are a very small portion of a swarm.  :) ;) Unless the swarm itself isn't a very large number.

Being the sad individual I am I just HAD to check, how many bees is a swarm.
My friend Google tells me that a "swarm" just describes a gathering/grouping of bees and not a specific number of them. So that's another fact I've learned, but I'm not so sure how I can get it into everyday conversation.

Geoff

Techno II

I'd have a wild punt...that when they come down the chimney, there are something around a couple of dozen of the wee chaps (No...what am I saying.....they'll be females)...that I have to encourage out of a window

As far as I'm aware, Mrs Queen had NEVER graced us with her presence.....Otherwise we might have had the whole 'swarm' in the living room.

That would probably NOT be much fun. ;D

Cheers - Phil. :)

sultanbev

Wasps, on the other hand, are vicious this time of year. Knowing they are about to die in the next 2 months, and getting sugar rushes from fallen fruits, they'll sting at the slightest provacation.
The buggers built a nest in my allotment wheelie bin that I was using to mulch leaves, despite the lid being permanently closed earlier this year. Moved the bin slightly last saturday, first day out after 10 days self-isolation (2 wargaming friends got really ill off Covid, one just out of ICU but still in hospital), bang, stings to forehead. Swelled up covering one eye, then had reaction to anti-biotics, sick for 24 hours.  >:(

You really don't want to see the picture.....

It's taken a week to get back to normal, hopefully council coming this week with nukes, flamethrowers and nerve gas.

Heedless Horseman

Quote from: Techno II on 22 August 2021, 03:40:38 PM
As far as we know...there are no 'domesticated' bee hives, anywhere near us.
So these have to be 'wild' bees.
They look like 'normal' bees to me. ;)
Cheers - Phil  :)

Depends on their Knees...
...or, so a  genuphiliac entemologist said.  :o ;)
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Techno II

Quote from: sultanbev on 22 August 2021, 11:10:43 PM
You really don't want to see the picture.....
It's taken a week to get back to normal, hopefully council coming this week with nukes, flamethrowers and nerve gas.

That does NOT sound fun.  :o

Trust that you ARE back to normal, now.

Cheers - Phil.

Steve J

Sorry to hear that Mark. I hope you and your wargaming chums are on the mend now.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

One of our neighbours on our street found a grass snake in his garden today.
We are fairly central in out town too!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

I'd love to see our grass snake but my wife would freak out. Not surprising really given that she used to see people die of snake bites in her village as a kid :(.

sultanbev

Quote from: Techno II on 23 August 2021, 06:40:59 AM
That does NOT sound fun.  :o

Trust that you ARE back to normal, now.

Cheers - Phil.

Thanks Phil, yes, back to normal now, the council nerve gas worked and we've been able to get at the plum tree - first batch of jam made this weekend  :D
Swelling went away after 8 days. Was out with the scythe on Friday, cutting the long grass we've left in lawns to encourage wildlife.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno II

Ditto..Good to hear that  Mark !! :-bd

Grass snakes ?

Decades ago, I was found one, while I was playing golf...picked it up...took it over to show my opponent.....He went as white as a sheet. I honestly didn't realise he was terrified of snakes.
His game went to absolute pieces after that.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Last one I saw over here was on the track opposite......3 (?) years ago...It was probably for hunting frogs on the 'marsh'.

Cheers - Phil :)

Heedless Horseman

30 August 2021, 07:30:56 AM #281 Last Edit: 30 August 2021, 07:38:25 AM by Heedless Horseman
Quote from: Lord Speedy of Leighton on 29 August 2021, 08:57:04 PM
One of our neighbours on our street found a grass snake in his garden today.
We are fairly central in out town too!

Wow! Never seen one... only seen an Adder Once... horse saw it first! Snakes are the 'unloved'.But, wouldn't care to live where the 'nasties', are!
Remember a 'pub' excursrion to Blackpool. Big, Rough Tough Farmer lad allowed a local 'act' to wind it's way over him. Almost Wee'd himself... but Brave lad! Wouldn't care for it myself! LOL!

Heedless Horseman

Was asked by a neiighbour if Hedgehogs  going into hibernation yet?. Don't think so...I'm pretty sure they will be out and about for a couple of months, yet. Need to Feed!
However, if you have 'Hogloos' or whatever... could be a time to check and remove and replace 'old bedding'... wear gloves for scent and 'Fleas / Ticks'.
Small bags of Hay for Rabbit fodder available in Tesco, etc.

FierceKitty

Quote from: Techno II on 22 August 2021, 07:26:31 PM
I'd have a wild punt...that when they come down the chimney, there are something around a couple of dozen of the wee chaps (No...what am I saying.....they'll be females)...that I have to encourage out of a window

As far as I'm aware, Mrs Queen had NEVER graced us with her presence.....Otherwise we might have had the whole 'swarm' in the living room.

That would probably NOT be much fun. ;D

Cheers - Phil. :)

I dreamed last night that I was playing a battle and my general knocked over a beehive and was stung to death (according to the random events table).
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Heedless Horseman

Well... it's similar to when a rather 'uncomfortable' French Emperor, got up in a 'hurry'... saying "WTF YOU laughing about Ney... just... go and DO something, will you!"  ;)