'Napoleon' on TV

Started by T13A, 04 March 2024, 11:26:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T13A

Hi

Just watched the film 'Napoleon' on TV (Apple TV, streaming sevice). Even taking into account that I was watching it on a TV rather than at the cinema it was truly, truly awful (IMHO).

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

mollinary

QuoteHi

Just watched the film 'Napoleon' on TV (Apple TV, streaming sevice). Even taking into account that I was watching it on a TV rather than at the cinema it was truly, truly awful (IMHO).

Cheers Paul
Come on now, don't sit on the fence, tell us what you really think about it!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Roy

Quote...Even taking into account that I was watching it on a TV rather than at the cinema it was truly, truly awful (IMHO).

Not many things make me laugh out loud when reading off the Internet. But this did  ;D  ;D  ;D
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Ithoriel

04 March 2024, 06:14:51 PM #3 Last Edit: 04 March 2024, 06:20:03 PM by Ithoriel
Ridley Scott's "Napoleon" - The names are the same but the facts have been changed to protect the innocent!

With all the historical accuracy of "Alien," the psychological insight of "Bake Off" and a portrayal of interpersonal relationships worthy of
"East Enders" this film will leave you .... bewildered as to what Scarpa and Scott were thinking! :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

BernaDotDotDot

I have always said that Napoleon is one of a handful of characters in history whose life was so over the top, you could change his name and write the book, and everyone would assume it was fiction.

So it was my biggest disappointment, not the lack of any accuracy, but that it simply was not fun to watch. What a waste of the material available.
2024 Painting Competition - Winner!
2024 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Roy

Got to be honest and say I'd rather watch a movie on Marshal Ney.
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

hammurabi70

QuoteHi

Cheers Paul

Based on your recommendation I have spent this morning watching this film.  I can understand why it has won nominations for PRODUCTION, COSTUME and VISUAL EFFECTS.  The wardrobe and CGI effects are superb and exceed anything done by the BBC, which is rightly well known and praised for the high quality of its period dramas. Although in the press the film gets noted for its battle scenes I thought it might have been better to take another cue from the BBC: avoid showing complicated scenes requiring a cast of thousands, a big budget and lots of time.  It would save gallons of ink being spilt by military historians and untold time by wargamers writing on blogs and forums.  I thought it standard, traditional, Hollywood fare that plays very fast and loose with history, so is best avoided by wargamers if their blood pressure might take a hit.  Anyone with historical or military knowledge of the period will find it risible.  Ignoring the ten minutes of credits there are 150 minutes to tell the story of one of the greatest military men in history, set in twenty-five years of a Great European War.  A ten episode series might indeed have seen a more sensible story but we have not got that, only a love story between Napoleon and Josephine ... IMHO poorly done as it does not concentrate on either love or history, so fails with both. I am not sure what the right reaction is:  ;D  :o  :'( 

d_Guy

Thanks for the reviews. It sounds like my time would be better spent rewatching "The Duellists".
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

BernaDotDotDot

Duelists is so good, if you mention the movie it automatically becomes a Duelists thread.

Duelists and Lawrence of Arabia are the two movies I watch enough and find enough value in I "bought" them on Amazon streaming. Anything else I will let come and go out of services.

Speaking of which, if you did not know - justwatch is a website you can plug in any movie or tv show and it will show you where it is free or part of a service.  I use it almost daily.
2024 Painting Competition - Winner!
2024 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

hammurabi70

Quote from: d_Guy on 05 March 2024, 03:25:29 PMThanks for the reviews. It sounds like my time would be better spent rewatching "The Duellists".

Great film; I was so impressed I bought it on CD.  It depends on why you want to watch a film!

John Cook

Quote from: T13A on 04 March 2024, 11:26:23 AMHi

Cheers Paul
Three problems with it.  One, it played fast and loose with the historical record, but that is to be expected up to a point but this film went into the realms of fantasy.  Two, there were parts in it that were meant to be serious but were just unintentionally funny.  Three it wasn't entertaining and that is beyond unforgivable when you've paid good money to see it.