Shogun on Disney+

Started by Steve J, 28 February 2024, 11:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

With fond memories of the 1980's tv series and having read the book, I was looking forward to watching the new version on Disney+ that aired last night. Fist impressions are very favourable, with the caveat that I only watched towards the end of episode 1. Takeaways so far are:

- Brilliant production values, from sets to the costumes.
- The SFX is very, very well done and hard to spot at times: are they on set or a green screen?
- The language is for the mainpart in Japanese, with subtitles, which is great to see.
- It makes me want to learn more about the period and possibly get some small armies together!

Ithoriel

With fond memories of the 1980's tv series and having read the book, I was .... once more frustrated at the fracturing of the movie market.

When I rule the world it will only be possible to watch a film in a licenced movie theatres!

</grump> :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Raider4

28 February 2024, 01:32:10 PM #2 Last Edit: 28 February 2024, 01:39:25 PM by Raider4
I remember the time - people at school were going around saying "Konichi wa" and "Hai!" for weeks. Can't remember much about the series though. Probably just watched the first couple then drifted away.

d_Guy

QuoteI remember the time - people at school were going around saying "Konichi wa" and "Hai!" for weeks.
Good times.
Was in grad school at the time and because of my greater age and girth was given the moniker, "Kujira Sama".
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Ithoriel

I was at university at the time the TV show was on. I briefly went from being known as "Top Cat" to being "Anjin-san" among my friends because I was so immersed in all things samurai at the time.

That was when my fascination with the Ii clan (the "Red Demons of Ii") began.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Big Insect

Quote from: Steve J on 28 February 2024, 11:22:31 AMWith fond memories of the 1980's tv series and having read the book, I was looking forward to watching the new version on Disney+ that aired last night. Fist impressions are very favourable, with the caveat that I only watched towards the end of episode 1. Takeaways so far are:

- Brilliant production values, from sets to the costumes.
- The SFX is very, very well done and hard to spot at times: are they on set or a green screen?
- The language is for the mainpart in Japanese, with subtitles, which is great to see.
- It makes me want to learn more about the period and possibly get some small armies together!

I totally agree Steve - for once, a great adaptation not mucked about with too much. I am greatly enjoying it and have found my old 28mm Dixon Samurai army and am thinking its time I rebased it and ran it out again. 10/10 from me.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.