AP

Started by flamingpig0, 29 May 2021, 07:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flamingpig0

Am I the only one who keeps reading AP as armour piercing rather than anti-personnel
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Raider4

sultanbev

In the BKC army lists I produce I have written A/P rather than AP, which everyone knows stands for armour piercing. Simiarly Anti-tank has been written A/T rather than AT.

flamingpig0

29 May 2021, 11:29:21 PM #4 Last Edit: 30 May 2021, 12:04:50 AM by flamingpig0
I am going to make a radical suggestion for CWC  - the AP is changed to A-Pe or perhaps AI just to avoid confusion.
 H.P. Lovecraft

Salah Askar,

pbeccas

No changes across rules or I'll get confused.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: pbeccas on 30 May 2021, 11:51:47 AM
No changes across rules or I'll get confused.

Well I'm always confused...
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Big Insect

All points duly noted and considered
:)
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

T13A

Well as an ex tankie, AP is, and always will be 'armour piecing' to me.  :P

Cheers Paul

T13A Out!

flamingpig0

Even if it was changed to A-P it  would help
 H.P. Lovecraft

Salah Askar,

Big Insect

This was all debated at some length during the 'play-test' stage of BKCIV and
Anti-personnel (AP)
Anti-tank (AT)
Were the most commonly accepted 2-letter designations (& we want to keep it as 2 letters max)

We looked at a number of different variants - such as Soft target (ST) Hard target (HT) - Anti-armour (a 'no-go' as that shortens to AA)
It is not that easy
As the rules are not designed at a level to accommodate different anti-armour munitions, confusion between Armour-piercing & Anti-personnel was deemed an acceptable compromise.  

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

holdfast

APers for anti personnel and ATk for Anti Tank, AP for armour piercing were the standard abbreviations we were taught at Staff College. That avoided confusion when drafting stuff in the middle of the night, when resupply orders were being put together. We felt that the addition of a couple of letters to an abbreviation was preferable to the possibility of confusion if one stuck to a limit of two letters in the abbreviation.
But I suppose putting a couple of extra letters in an abbreviation might arguably have added to the page count.