Attacking bunkers

Started by Amra, 13 May 2021, 02:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

From what I've seen and read, if the Allies thought there were civilians or non-Japanese workers in the cave they'd be given a chance to come out and surrender. Otherwise the entrance was blown and the Japanese troops were entombed.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

OldenBUA

For more turret bunkers, there's also this option: https://www.ijssellinie.nl/en/welcome/

Lots of opportunities for Firefly and/or regular Sherman turrets, and also quad .50 mounts.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

pbeccas

Quote from: Big Insect on 20 May 2021, 01:55:04 PM
I think the Allied/US tactic was to block off all the entrances, rather than go in fighting.
Although I am sure you could use any variations on Dungeons & Dragons or even Space Hulk to play an engagement where troops were sent in to route the Japanese out.

My grandad was with the Australian 9th Infantry Division and fought during the Labuan Island assault in 1945.  After the initial landings the Japanese retreated into a cave system in a pocket from which they were launching company level attacks.  My grandad told me they used artillery, direct firing Bofors guns, naval guns, frontal assault to throw in explosives, nothing worked.  In the end they had to land Matilda Frog flamethrowing tanks which basically drove up to the cave entrances and burnt them out.  A lot of Japanese got out into the jungle, but then the Australians had to defend the tunnel entrances as the Japanese tried to get back in.

There's was no D&D.  There was a lot of hard fighting.

Big Insect

Absolutely - I was just saying that if you wanted to try and game an engagement where troops are sent into cave complexes to route out an enemy, then a good gaming mechanism might be to sue something like D&D or Space Hulks  :)
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Itinerant Hobbyist

Dang man. I think it's awesome you got to speak with him about it.

Quote from: pbeccas on 21 May 2021, 12:22:51 AM
My grandad was with the Australian 9th Infantry Division and fought during the Labuan Island assault in 1945.  After the initial landings the Japanese retreated into a cave system in a pocket from which they were launching company level attacks.  My grandad told me they used artillery, direct firing Bofors guns, naval guns, frontal assault to throw in explosives, nothing worked.  In the end they had to land Matilda Frog flamethrowing tanks which basically drove up to the cave entrances and burnt them out.  A lot of Japanese got out into the jungle, but then the Australians had to defend the tunnel entrances as the Japanese tried to get back in.

There's was no D&D.  There was a lot of hard fighting.