Pendraken Miniatures Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
25 October 2021, 01:43:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Libertad!, our Spanish Civil War supplement is now available!
332273 Posts in 18942 Topics by 2335 Members
Latest Member: blackseafleet
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Pendraken Miniatures Forum
|-+  Pendraken Rules!
| |-+  Blitzkrieg Commander IV
| | |-+  BKC-IV Rule Queries
| | | |-+  Attacking bunkers
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Attacking bunkers  (Read 3032 times)
Ithoriel
General

« Reply #45 on: 20 May 2021, 03:01:29 PM »

From what I've seen and read, if the Allies thought there were civilians or non-Japanese workers in the cave they'd be given a chance to come out and surrender. Otherwise the entrance was blown and the Japanese troops were entombed.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!
OldenBUA
Colonel

« Reply #46 on: 20 May 2021, 05:13:05 PM »

For more turret bunkers, there's also this option: https://www.ijssellinie.nl/en/welcome/

Lots of opportunities for Firefly and/or regular Sherman turrets, and also quad .50 mounts.

Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin σσk lu.
pbeccas
Second Lieutenant

« Reply #47 on: 21 May 2021, 12:22:51 AM »

I think the Allied/US tactic was to block off all the entrances, rather than go in fighting.
Although I am sure you could use any variations on Dungeons & Dragons or even Space Hulk to play an engagement where troops were sent in to route the Japanese out.

My grandad was with the Australian 9th Infantry Division and fought during the Labuan Island assault in 1945.  After the initial landings the Japanese retreated into a cave system in a pocket from which they were launching company level attacks.  My grandad told me they used artillery, direct firing Bofors guns, naval guns, frontal assault to throw in explosives, nothing worked.  In the end they had to land Matilda Frog flamethrowing tanks which basically drove up to the cave entrances and burnt them out.  A lot of Japanese got out into the jungle, but then the Australians had to defend the tunnel entrances as the Japanese tried to get back in.

There’s was no D&D.  There was a lot of hard fighting.
Big Insect
Colonel

« Reply #48 on: 21 May 2021, 10:44:36 AM »

Absolutely - I was just saying that if you wanted to try and game an engagement where troops are sent into cave complexes to route out an enemy, then a good gaming mechanism might be to sue something like D&D or Space Hulks  Smiley
Itinerant Hobbyist
Playtester
Lieutenant

« Reply #49 on: 21 May 2021, 01:52:02 PM »

Dang man. I think it’s awesome you got to speak with him about it.

My grandad was with the Australian 9th Infantry Division and fought during the Labuan Island assault in 1945.  After the initial landings the Japanese retreated into a cave system in a pocket from which they were launching company level attacks.  My grandad told me they used artillery, direct firing Bofors guns, naval guns, frontal assault to throw in explosives, nothing worked.  In the end they had to land Matilda Frog flamethrowing tanks which basically drove up to the cave entrances and burnt them out.  A lot of Japanese got out into the jungle, but then the Australians had to defend the tunnel entrances as the Japanese tried to get back in.

There’s was no D&D.  There was a lot of hard fighting.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: