Does it have to look good

Started by exilesjjb, 25 January 2011, 11:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exilesjjb

So I am always interested in others take on all things wargames. My question this time is:

Does your gaming table have to look the bees knees for you to have a great time or can you just throw a cloth over a few books and game away to your hearts content?

Me, I love a stunning gaming table, but for me it is all about who I play not what I play on, with the right oppo I could have a great game on the dinner table with toothpicks as units (this did in fact take place in a Cyprus kebab house).
Peace
James Brewerton (Exiles Painting)

Pruneau

For me a table definitely has to have a decent look.  I love well made tables, the more stunning the better.  Things like cloth on books are turn-offs for me.  And the little details can make the difference. 
But I'm not too strict: a nice game mat, some nice buildings, not too shabby looking roads and rivers, pre-fab trees on flocked bases, that'll do the trick just fine.
Boardgames: MMP ACW, ASL ᴥ BKC & SSOM - WW2 (In development) ᴥ Flying Lead - Sci-Fi: Shocktroops, Pulp, Spugs ᴥ WH - Greenskins, Dwarfs

http://hiording.blogspot.com - http://runequestfun.blogspot.com - http://secondsquadonme.blogspot.com

ʎɐqə ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎəʞ ɐ ʎnq ı əɯıʇ ʇsɐl əɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Steve J

A nice looking table always for me.

DaveH

Unless its a demonstration game at a con then no I'm not too bothered. I enjoy it more when its nice terrain rather than hill contours by stacking books on top of each other but it doesn't really matter too much to me.

nikharwood

Sandinista

I prefer a game to look good, but the opponent and the game matter more.

Hertsblue

Strangely enough, the more realistic the terrain the more difficult it is to play on - in terms of getting your figures to stand up and stand still. Personally I can adjust to any table so long as I have masses of pretty figures to push around.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Kassad

I always like nice and well modelled table. But really depends on the "feeling" of the moment. I remenber a very funny battles, using the Shogun boardgame pieces put on poker cards, played on a flat desk. Ah! the good times gone.
2011 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Jubilation T Cornpone

Good looking tables are nice but I'm happy with a terrain cloth and terrain pieces on top. Doesn't have to be a topographical masterpiece. I wont touch unpainted figures or scenery though. Its just my opinion, I know some wargamers don't mind that and all power to them. Variety is what makes this hobby go round. That and the God of all scales, 10mm!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Bees knees I'm afaraid, bit of a terrain freak!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

It certainly has to look ok, i.e. painted terrain that fits the period. However to facilitate my time to paint figures I tend to buy commercial trees, roads, rivers etc. Just looked at the two SYW armies for sale - that is good painting and very inspirational. My Austrians almost complete but Prussians yet to go. :)
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

sixsideddice

Fortunately... with 10mm games, as long as you spend at least a worthy portion of that hard earned cash on terrain; your games will always look both stunning - and be fun to play  ;)

Six  :D

Hertsblue

Quote from: sixsideddice on 21 March 2011, 03:19:57 PM
Fortunately... with 10mm games, as long as you spend at least a worthy portion of that hard earned cash on terrain; your games will always look both stunning - and be fun to play  ;)

Six  :D

What do you consider a worthy portion? Are we talking mortgages, bank heists or merely creative accounting? :)

www.rulesdepot.net

Duke Speedy of Leighton

The average bonus at a major bank should cover 10% of it! I figure on spending the same on a 15mm army as I do on terrain these days (in monthly cycles, if funds stretch).
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Hertsblue

www.rulesdepot.net