Looking at 4 ACW rule sets

Started by Norm, 18 April 2021, 07:26:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I have taken a few ACW rule sets for a spin, jut to compare the 'in game feel' of the fire / charge processes.

It's just a bit of fun rather than serious analysis.

More info on the blog. LINK

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2021/04/acw-rule-comparisons.html

paulr

An interesting comparison :-\

Spoiler

Good to see they all managed to get the right result ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Battleback

Quote from: Norm on 18 April 2021, 07:26:34 AMI have taken a few ACW rule sets for a spin, jut to compare the 'in game feel' of the fire / charge processes.

It's just a bit of fun rather than serious analysis.

More info on the blog. LINK

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2021/04/acw-rule-comparisons.html
Very interesting read Norm! I enjoy this type of rules testing. I'm currently building for ACW with Warlord's Epic range and so far I've purchased Regimental F&F, Alter of Freedom and Sharp Practice rules sets ( guess I have Black Powder too, since it came with the starter box) to play ACW but I haven't actually rolled any dice yet. I might have to give Pickett's Charge a closer look as well after reading your post.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Leman

The thing about Epic is that it has been designed for use with Black Powder where casualties are not removed, so the individual bases are pretty big. Game systems like Regimental F&F have varying numbers of bases in a unit which are removed as casualties occur. This can be tackled where large bases are concerned by using casualty figures. All well and good, but some units might require upto 10 markers if they have 11 bases. That's a lot of extra casualty painting, so if using figures try a single casualty figure on a casualty base where the number shown revolves around the centre so that the number of casualties can be changed. Even quicker are mini-dice and various other markers reducing the need to paint more figures. Some examples:

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Steve J

Very good comparisons Norm, but I still like BPII for my sins!

Dave Fielder

I wonder how the rules compare with larger organisations on the table top? I think that might give a good test of the rules, supporting fire, reinforcing units, brigade and divisional morale, command and control etc. For example, BPII for small actions can be a blunt instrument but it does give a good army level result.
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

Steve J

I think you need around 12 units per side to help even out the vagaries of the die rolls, to give one a chance to compare the rulesets mentioned. Obviously this requires quite a bit of time and effort to do this.

Battleback

Quote from: Leman on 18 April 2021, 06:09:27 PM
The thing about Epic is that it has been designed for use with Black Powder where casualties are not removed, so the individual bases are pretty big. Game systems like Regimental F&F have varying numbers of bases in a unit which are removed as casualties occur. This can be tackled where large bases are concerned by using casualty figures. All well and good, but some units might require upto 10 markers if they have 11 bases. That's a lot of extra casualty painting, so if using figures try a single casualty figure on a casualty base where the number shown revolves around the centre so that the number of casualties can be changed. Even quicker are mini-dice and various other markers reducing the need to paint more figures. Some examples:

Very true there is a trade off using the Epic bases figures for games like RF&F. One thing I plan to do is count one Epic 60mm base as 3 RF&F bases. The standard frontage of 3 bases is 75mm so it's close to one 60mm and then I'll mark casualties on the base, when it receives its 3rd hit I'll remove the BASE. the other option is to count each base as 2 bases and the frontage is only off 10mm instead of 15mm but I'd like to make 3 work so it'll be less painting. I hope to run a test solo game this weekend to see how it works and to see how I like the rules themselves.

Norm

I have put the Bloody Lane (Sunken Road) scenario from the Pickett's Charge rule book on the table. Roughly 12 Regiments per side, plus 2 artillery batteries per side.

have used my 12mm Kallistra, bases of 2 for each regiment, with a frontage of 80mm. Even though the system used smaller change bases, it is working fine. For Epic with 2 bases per regiment, this would increase frontages to 120mm and would put pressure on my table, but I don't see why a single base per regiment wouldn't work, you just have to remember (write down) how many 'bases' are in the regiment as some of the processes use that.

Battleback

Quote from: Norm on 20 April 2021, 07:06:05 PM
I have put the Bloody Lane (Sunken Road) scenario from the Pickett's Charge rule book on the table. Roughly 12 Regiments per side, plus 2 artillery batteries per side.

have used my 12mm Kallistra, bases of 2 for each regiment, with a frontage of 80mm. Even though the system used smaller change bases, it is working fine. For Epic with 2 bases per regiment, this would increase frontages to 120mm and would put pressure on my table, but I don't see why a single base per regiment wouldn't work, you just have to remember (write down) how many 'bases' are in the regiment as some of the processes use that.
That's a good point maybe I'll give one base width per regiment a try. Maybe I can use 2 or 3 bases deep to differentiate between different size regiments for better visual appeal.