A late hello from West Sussex

Started by DecemDave, 13 April 2021, 04:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DecemDave

Having lurked here long enough to become second lieutenant, I thought I should put something on this thread.  Mainly to publicly thank the many posters on this forum who have provided help, answers and suggestions either directly or via posts they made long ago. 
I am 66, live in West Sussex and had painted 1/72 Airfix armies as a kid and have been a storage unit for growing lead and plastic mountains for the decades since.  On retirement, I finally twigged that I would need several lifetimes and a lot more space to complete the "plan", so I sold off many boxes of plastics to a dealer, the 15mm to some work colleagues and focused on and created two 20mm or 1/72 ancients armies.  Then I went to Wapnertak and the Kallistra stand and spent an hour drooling over their painted display.   
Ancients/medieval are my primary interest but I still lust after having army-pairs across many eras. So when I saw a 10mm ECW army going for a reasonable sum on Ebay I pounced.  It turned out to be mainly Pendraken infantry and Old Glory cavalry (thanks to Andrew Brentnall for the identification on facebook).  And then the fun started:
I didn't like the bases (flocked beer mats?)
There was some reasonable touching up needed especially flags
I had to give the Pendraken pikemen proper length pikes
The cavalry had no unit command.
I wanted to make the units less regimented by mixing in other makes and poses.
It needed wagons, sheep, generals, sheep,  and other paraphernalia.  Etc etc
So off went some small orders to various manufacturers.  (Hopefully, I don't get demoted on the forum for not being faithful to  Pendraken alone).  And then some more not so little orders for bases and where the figures proved irresistible (Pendraken LoA cavalry-  here pretending to be rich boy cavaliers and MinifIgs infantry) .
Current status is 20 units of 32-40 figures infantry, 4 units of 20-30 clubmen, 15 units of 12-18 figure cavalry. The purchased dragoons and artillery should be enough. (for now?)   And I've managed to improve my painting just enough to dare post the last two units completed this morning.  If I can figure out the posting pics thing.  I will do the scenic basing and Matt spray for the army as a whole later.
Once the ECW is done, there is an acquired large Kallistra warmaster army to convert to something more historical; the pendraken peninsular non-kickstarter and a Pendraken early medieval which I will be intermingling with some TB Line and the apocalypse 10mm barons war range.
So you can see I am a convert to 10mm.  Having started with DBx in larger scales, I love the way you have space on standard bases either to chase to "army" look or leave space to have little vignettes.

Dave

DecemDave

DecemDave

Techno II

If we haven't said it before, Dave....Welcome to the forum !  :)

Cheers - Phil.

P.S....Damn fine work on the figures above. :-bd

mmcv

Looking great! The LoA figures are lovely, I've a few mixed into my ECW forces too and a full LoA project is high on the todo list.

You've already become a familiar name around here with some of your recent posts, but it's good to see your official greeting.

Welcome!

Ben Waterhouse

Arma Pacis Fulcra

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Orcs

Welcome to the Forum, The figures look really good.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

paulr

Welcome again Dave :-h

Thanks for the intro, you appear to have followed a not uncommon path for many here ;)

As to the figures :-bd =D> :-bd
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

DecemDave

Thank you gents for all the kind words.  While the painting of my last units is certainly better than my first, it owes a huge debt to the quality of the sculpts and castings.  The LoA in particular are a beaut - undercoat, ink wash, paint between the lines or drybrush over, wash, varnish and done.   I'm hoping the Pendraken Peninsular Naps will be as easy because I seem to have paid for lots of them!!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

DecemDave

#:-S #:-S

Is it the return of the "Spot the squirrel" contest?

No I have finally finished the painting for the ECW armies that I thought I would get done in the first lockdown!.  Well, apart from a few flags
and highlighting
and touch ups
and...
So its on to a little bit of basing then...