A few WWII ships for the Pacific

Started by paulr, 11 April 2021, 08:30:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

Quote from: pierre the shy on 11 April 2021, 12:05:58 PM
Shouldn't take too long to do the US stuff in Measure 21:
Vertical Surfaces: Navy Blue 5-N  All Vertical surfaces without exception.
Horizontal Surfaces: Deck Blue, 20-B.

MS 32 is 3 toned so slightly more work:
Vertical Surfaces: Paint all exposed vertical surfaces a pattern of: Light Gray 5-L, Ocean Gray 5-O, Black.
Horizontal Surfaces: Paint all decks and horizontal surfaces a pattern of: Deck Blue, 20-B, Ocean Gray 5-O.

I missed one US CA off the order I did....opps :-[ still Paul tells me he only has 7 others that can be used as a stand-ins  ;)

MS21 will be pretty straight forward :)
MS32 a bit trickier :-B

And the US cruiser that mysteriously didn't arrive, Indianapolis :o
Well her sister ship the Portland. I'll have to use one of the three of the preceding Northampton class or one for the four of the following New Orleans class I already have as a stand in

Quote from: ianrs54 on 11 April 2021, 11:33:43 AM
Ships changed colours frequently. I've got schemes for the Royal Navy BB's, BC's and CA's - coutesy of Raven and Roberts.

At the moment the the info I have on HMAS Shropshire in 1944 suggests three greys Mediterranean style camo using 507 A, MS 2, MS 3, with MS 4a decks

Any info on HMAS Arunta & Warramunga in 1944 would be appreciated. I've got a picture of each suggesting MS21 or similar and a two grey camo scheme
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

Masts and cranes cut, bent and installed :) :)

Ships undercoated :)

Orcs

In the US Office depot will send a single fax. I had to do it a couple of years ago as a guarantor form for my daughter while on holiday. It was cheap enough about 2 dollars.

It was the last thing I wanted to be doing on holiday .  Locate an office depot, drive there , email them the form. They print out the form, I fill it out and they fax it. Took best part of a morning out of our holiday. And then it was not needed as she earn't enough anyway. - Kids - Arggh!

It also came back to haunt me a couple of months back on a security check for work.  I filled out the forms and they came back asking why I had not included the address in my list of past residences.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

paulr

Don't you just love organisations asking you questions they already know the answer to ~X(

A few years ago I was dealing with the investment part on my bank, they needed proof of address
I had to go into a branch of the bank and get them to print out a copy of a bank statement so they could scan it and email it to the investment part of the same back X_X
I suppose I should be grateful they didn't need to fax it ;)

Raider4

$BANK needed to see a recent payslip, photocopy absolutely not acceptable.

Me: "My payslips are emailed to me as a PDF".
Bank: "Oh, just print that out and send it to us".
Me: "So, how could you tell the difference between a printed out PDF and a photocopy of a physical payslip?"
Bank: "Ummmm . . . . "

Ithoriel

Had similar while trying to wrap up my Dad's estate recently.

Had to be a fax or else come to the local office and hand in a hard copy. Absolutely no emailing allowed.

Contacted the local office to see when I could come and hand it in.

Due to the covid outbreak please email it in rather than coming in person.

Doh! Left hands, right hands, amirite?

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Westmarcher

Some great thread derailment going on ....    :P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

fred.

There are email to fax (and fax to email) services available - not sure if they can be used on an ad hoc basis.

Considering most fax machines these days are scanners - I really can't see what the difference is between the 'fax' scanning and sending it as a fax, and the 'fax' scanning it and you attaching it to an email to send. Legacy processes.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

John Cook

Quote from: paulr on 11 April 2021, 08:30:28 AM
Pierre the Shy managed to locate a working fax machine and sent an order off to Navwar :o

Navwar appear to be stuck in the 1970s.  They have a website but don't have a facility for on-line orders and only accept orders by mail or fax.  Mind you, their system, such as it is, works.  I have more than fifty of their Elizabethan 1:1200 ships and their service is exemplary.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Raider4

Quote from: John Cook on 12 April 2021, 12:53:16 PM
Navwar appear to be stuck in the 1970s.  They have a website but don't have a facility for on-line orders and only accept orders by mail or fax.

Or you can go to the physical shop, only open for 3½ hours every Saturday afternoon.

FierceKitty

As has been pointed out, his service is quick, cheap,  and reliable, and I'm more than happy with the models I've got from him.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Raider4

Quote from: FierceKitty on 12 April 2021, 01:17:38 PM
As has been pointed out, his service is quick, cheap,  and reliable, and I'm more than happy with the models I've got from him.

Oh absolutely. Fully concur.

John Cook

Quote from: Raider4 on 12 April 2021, 01:13:54 PM
Or you can go to the physical shop, only open for 3½ hours every Saturday afternoon.

Just a bit far for me and, in these 'interesting' times, would it be an essential journey?  Be that as it may, I enjoy the walk to the post box and the nostalgia of writing a cheque.  Anyway, the truth be told Navwar's 'flash to bang' time is often faster that ordering stuff elsewhere on-line.

hammurabi70

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 12 April 2021, 09:00:44 AM
I checked this, and everything I could easily find (ie first page of a google search) was a subscription service.

"Receive 10 faxes per month for $2.99".

Subscriptions have their place, but sending a one-off purchase request isn't it.

My page 1: https://www.fax.plus/free-fax/

Not tested so I cannot comment on the service.

The proprietor has not updated because he does not see any need as it works for him.