Fred - 2021 Painting Bits

Started by fred., 10 April 2021, 08:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred.

Thanks chaps!

These have certainly come out well for the relatively low effort

Quote from: Raider4 on 16 August 2021, 06:43:49 PM
Just need to add Tom Hanks and Co. . . . ;)

One of the few WWII forces I don't have is US GIs
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

Old Skool Harlequins

Bit of a change of pace - made a start on these old metal figures for Kill Team

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Now there's a regret!
Wish I had not sold mine.
These will be awesome.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

Cheers Will

I picked these up on eBay fairly cheaply a couple of years ago

Techno II

A trip down memory lane !!

Cheers - Phil. :)

fred.

14 September 2021, 08:10:52 PM #81 Last Edit: 14 September 2021, 08:12:24 PM by fred.
Late War WWI Game

We played a WWI game set in 1918 using If the Lord Spares Us rules. This was our first try with late war, and it general worked!

The table is bit pale as I used a desert mat to give a brown colour rather than my normal green one. The overall look is very brown. Which whilst OK for some parts of WWI is also a bit visually unappealing.

Early on in the game, the British are attacking from the bottom right, some of their troops are still on Blinds, one infantry battalion supported by Mark V tanks advances

End game, the British attack has stalled. They have managed to take the village on the far side. But in the middle have lost a full battalion, and its replacement is taking heavy casualties. On the near side the British are engaged in the fire fight with the defenders in the trench.
The Germans have lost approx 2 coys of defenders from the first trench line.

The scenario was very challenging for the British. There were too many defenders, and they had too much ground to cover. The British tanks proved much slower than the infantry, mainly as the infantry were able to advance rapidly on blinds at the start of the game.

As always ITLSU gives a good game - and this one really illustrated the problems of attacking strong defences.

One of the German battalions, 9 Infantry, 3 HMG, minewerfer, MG08 and HQ
There were two of these on the table, with 3 x 77mm field guns. And another in reserve.

paulr

Suitably muddy :-bd =D> :-bd

Definitely a tough nut to crack X_X

Interesting to hear that ITLSU worked well for late war, what amendments did you make?

fred.

Thanks Paul

I don't think we really made any, the core rules have tanks and trenches.

I decided that MG08 where 2dice MGs when firing. Gave the British +1 dice for Lewis guns per company.
Half way through we up the Whippets to 3d Average for movement (rather than 2dAv). Each tank was on its own card.

Germans had the option to deploy as companies, but effectively deployed as battalions - but again I think that is implicit in the rules - certainly is in some of the scenarios. I think having the Germans activate as companies would have been a good idea.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Quote from: fred. on 14 September 2021, 08:53:36 PM
Germans had the option to deploy as companies, but effectively deployed as battalions - but again I think that is implicit in the rules - certainly is in some of the scenarios. I think having the Germans activate as companies would have been a good idea.

Having them activate by companies would 'break up' the German defense a little more, hopefully allowing some of the British to make a bit more ground

Steve J

That's a nice looking game and as you say, quite a tough ask for the Brits.

Techno II

fred.

Thanks both

Quote from: Steve J on 15 September 2021, 06:31:32 AM
That's a nice looking game and as you say, quite a tough ask for the Brits.

Yes it was, in scale terms they had a mile to cover to get to the first German trench line. I'd set things up fairly quickly, and had gone with what looked OK, without really thinking about the ranges and moves within the game.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021