Fred - 2021 Painting Bits

Started by fred., 10 April 2021, 08:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred.

Getting closer to basing....

Got on with finishing off painting on as many in-progress bits as I could. Which turned out to be rather a lot!

Here they all are pretty much ready to get some PVA and sand added.

At the back various WWII desert bits - mainly command and support stands for Battlegroup. And since I took the photo, I've managed to find the few extra bases I needed.

On the left various figures for Irregular Wars, several stands of Balkan shot, and more Kerns, on the right the Ashigaru from the previous photo.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

mmcv

Techno II

Good stuff, Forbes.  :-bd

Cheers - Phil. :)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fred.

Irregular Wars - Sengoku Samurai vs Ikko Ikki

Just a couple of photos for now

Battle lines drawn up - Ikko Ikki on the left (don't look too closely at the figures...) Both sides have had a couple of impetuous units rush ahead

Towards the end

Blue dice are wounds on the Ikko Ikki, red on the Samurai

Was a great game - the Ikko Ikki held on a lot longer than expected (they have lots of low resolve units). The Ashigaru shooting was terrible.

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Martin1914

Fred
Really impressed by your artillery bases for ITLSU. Great looking samurai game.
Regards Mart
2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Techno II

Wot they all sed !

Cheers - Phil :)

Don't remember giving you typing lessons Phil

fred.

Thanks all - glad you like the look of the game. I've been upgrading various bits of scenery over the last couple of years.

Mart - I really enjoyed putting together the WWI guns with limbers - interesting how a rule (50mm square base) led to some research, and then making mini dioramas for the guns, which look so much better than the typical couple of crew around a gun.

fred.

Dungeon Exploring

Unfortunately due to my youngest daughter testing positive for COVID, we are in self-isolation at home now - she is fortunately fine, as are the rest of us, but being confined to the house again feels very constrained. Not that we were out that much, but when you can't do something you do miss it.

But on a positive I have found the Four Against Darkness rules by Ganesha Games, and have had the chance to get out my Pendraken Dungeon modules and play some games. The rules are good fun, give a good mix of exploring, fighting and finding treasure. The rules are pretty abstract and don't need figures, but figures and 3D terrain are the point of miniature gaming!

First encounter with 2 trolls - party was making heavy weather of it, but then the rogue got behind and backstabbed them to victory

The party meet an Anubis Warrior in a corridor, the Barbarian shows how it is done with the power of exploding 6s

The whole of the first level - laid out like this it could do with some casualty figures to show the party's progress / trail of destruction

In the third level the party meet a swarm of undead, who were dispatched rapidly by the now much more powerful characters

The whole of the third dungeon

The 4AD rules have their own charts for randomly generating rooms - but I made my own rules so that I could use my dungeon terrain - basically I assigned each piece of terrain to a playing card - red for corridors black for rooms, and dealt a card out at a time to build the dungeon. Which works well. It seems to take 2 levels of my dungeon pieces to make a 4AD adventure.

If you fancy a good solo game, which you can use figures with, a fiver on these rules is money well spent.

mmcv

Great stuff Fred. I had many fun games of 4AD with pencil and paper but works great with miniatures here.

Ithoriel

Looks good, sounds fun. What more can one ask!

I like a bit of eye-candy even if it's not strictly necessary.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno II

Looks damn fine, Forbes..... :-bd

Sorry to hear you've all had to self isolate. :(

Get well soon to the youngster !......And hope the rest of the family manage to avoid it.

All the best - Take care - Phil.