Epic figures go onto the table

Started by Norm, 07 April 2021, 12:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

The new warlord Epic figures went onto the table today to play scenario 1 from the set, which is a good starter scenario.

The post is really for the new gamer, encouraging them to dive into the very full box and get stuff onto the table before it is even painted.

I have put up a blog post that gives an impression of how these tightly packed figures look on the table, though I have shortened my bases, to reduce the noticeable gaps between between bases.

LINK
http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2021/04/an-epic-warlord-games-battle-for.html

jimduncanuk

Excellent.

That's tomorrows reading settled.

Thanks
My Ego forbids a signature.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

A fair and honest report Norm. Love the table. Top work sir.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno II

An excellent report, Norm.  :-bd

Cheers - Phil. :)

Steve J

Great post Norm and one that should encourage us more to try rules out as we also paint up units, which might prevent the issue of finding the rules don't work as planned and so you avoid having to re-base for yet another ruleset!

fred.

07 April 2021, 08:02:16 AM #5 Last Edit: 07 April 2021, 08:04:19 AM by fred.
Good post Norm

And good to see these ACW figures on the table - which leads me to some thoughts / questions

I'm really surprised that the expected unit size is 5 bases, so 30cm wide. This is really big, and probably wider than most 28mm BP units. I suppose it does give a good representation of the linear formations of the era - but I'm not sure that the rest of the rules fit with this size of unit.

I can see why you have gone for smaller units. But I'm surprised that having gone for 2 stand units, and trimming the bases from 60 to 55mm you have left the flags and command elements of the unit, over on the one flank. Is it not practical to cut the strips to reposition the flags? Or did I read that you are thinking of going to 3 stand units (back to WM units...) I think 3 stand units would give a good balance between the look of the command unit in the centre, and the size of the unit being reasonable (18cm normally or 16.5cm for your trimmed stands).

And on the painting front, with Warmaster figures (also in strips)  my gaming group often would stick the front rank to the base, then paint that in situ, allowing the unit to be field part painted much earlier than would be possible if everything needed painted.. The back rank would be painted separately (and later) and once it was done it would be added to the front rank on the base, and the base textured up.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Norm

Thanks All.

Fred, good idea on using a single painted base until a painted rear rank can be added. I used two bases in my example because practically for me, it allows for a 120mm frontage, which is the same as 3 of my kallistra 40mm bases, which I used on this battlefield the day before putting the Epic stuff out, so it allowed me to keep the same table.

3 bases is a good compromise because you could then have 1 base as a tiny unit, 2 for small, 3 for regular and 4 for large, which is an easy way to represent formation size. In the Epic rules, a large unit is 7 bases! as you say, a strange choice making unit frontages bigger than 28mm equivalents. Mainly though, I blogged about two base units as the intent of the post was for the gamer who on opening the box was over-faced by content and task, just to help them over the hurdle.

I know what you mean by flag position, but it doesn't particularly jar with me once the dice are rolling.

Raider4

Using 'Epic' in the name of the game makes me think of tiny sci-fi figures and stompy robots.

fred.

Quote from: Norm on 07 April 2021, 08:18:40 AM
I know what you mean by flag position, but it doesn't particularly jar with me once the dice are rolling.

This is often the case! I find we can worry about the look of things a lot, then once the game starts these become barely noticeable. And then when you post photos of the game, these snapshots are seen by others, who then spot the little things again, as they are obvious in a single static moment, but aren't when you are playing!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fred.

Quote from: Raider4 on 07 April 2021, 08:30:47 AM
Using 'Epic' in the name of the game makes me think of tiny sci-fi figures and stompy robots.

Indeed! And the classic GW epic figures are about half the size of these Warlord Epic figures  :o

mmcv

Nice report

QuoteTea towels under the mat give decent hills

That's a great idea, might try that next time as the books and placemats I've used in the past aren't the nicest.

Orcs

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Westmarcher

Good report, as usual.  :-bd

Reminds me of my teenage games with a mix of painted and unpainted Airfix figures. 
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: fred. on 07 April 2021, 08:31:39 AM
Indeed! And the classic GW epic figures are about half the size of these Warlord Epic figures  :o

The original epic were 6mm rather than 12mm of the Warlord stuff.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

bigjackmac

Great post, Norm, very interesting, and a nice little fight to boot!

V/R,
Jack