Event cards for WotR

Started by FierceKitty, 24 March 2021, 06:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammurabi70

Quote from: FierceKitty on 29 April 2021, 12:56:34 PM
German artillerists were very highly esteemed and well paid, and both sides hired whatever help they could get. For the rest, I play chess-like games with great pleasure, but they offer a different kind of satisfaction from what I seek in miniatures games.

I know German mercenaries were at Stoke but I am interested in knowing what battles there were German artillerists at.  Or is this a general conceptual card i.e. we assume you have got some from somewhere.

FierceKitty

Just grabbed bits and pieces off medieval and renaissance history books, I'm afraid.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Big Insect

Quote from: hammurabi70 on 29 April 2021, 04:03:16 PM
I know German mercenaries were at Stoke but I am interested in knowing what battles there were German artillerists at.  Or is this a general conceptual card i.e. we assume you have got some from somewhere.

Stoke was a mix of 'German' - Burgundian/Low countries & Swiss - pikes and handgunners.
There were also supposed to be some french pikes a Bosworth, but I'm of a view these were actually 'Franc-Archer' units - with a mix of 1/3rd polearms/spears etc and 2/3rds crossbows.
There were Burgundian Handgunners in Warwick's army at 2nd St.Albans - shooting from brehind spiked pavices (e.g. pavices with large nails driven through them, to act like caltrops when dropped flat).

The problem with gunners (artillery gunners) in this ear is that often only the master gunner's name was known and recorded and his 'crew' were also often local men, assigned to support him in the heavy lifting etc.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Big Insect on 30 April 2021, 12:26:46 PM

The problem with gunners (artillery gunners) in this ear is that they stone deaf

Sorry Mark - couldn't resist.... :d :d

In answer to the question there were lots of European mercenries.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021