TooFatLardy Rules with 10mm

Started by steve_holmes_11, 19 April 2021, 02:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve_holmes_11

Has anybody successfully adapted the likes of Chain of Command or Sharp Practice for 10mm.

T.F.L. games have a few common core mechanisms.
I've found individual basing (and sometimes formation bases) to be the biggest difficulty in using 10m with the rules.

Has anybody devised some cunning "thinking outside the box" solutions?

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Not TFL but have played both FoW and Battlegroup in 6mm. Changed all measurements to cm, don't  be tempted to use any multiples if you do. Imperial measurements (no change) should work. Basing - with 10mm you can base individual figures - I use old board game counters which I have lots of, but 12.5 MDF counters would also work. I would take the approach we used with WRG 2-6 Ancients and base as 4's, 3's, 2's and 1's so a British section for CoC could be 1 base of 4, 1 of 2 (Bren) another of 2, and 2 signletons - the Cpl and a rifleman. For Sharpe Practice units are 12's if I recall, so 1 or 2 4's 2 x1 an a 2.

Hope that helps
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

mmcv

Very interested in this. I've recently purchased a copy of Sharpe Practice and a few sample packs of AWI to try it out. My initial plan was to try individual basing and if it proved too fiddly try some sort of grouped basing. I.e. put a few figures on each base allowing bigger bases and count number of bases rather than number of figures.

Or possibly some sort of 4-2-1-1 basing for 8 fig units and 3-2-1 basing for 6 fig units. I.e. having a 40x10 base with 4 figs, a 20x10 with 2 figs and two 10x10 with one figure each. This could be fairly fiddly still. Possibly using 20x20 as the smallest "individual" unit (either with a single figure or a fixed number) then building up from there in 20x20, 40x20 and 80x20 (or just multiple 40x20). If there's other sized units can probably do similar groupings.

Using 4-2-1-1 or 3-2-1 means you can represent any combination of troop removal easily.

Alternatively just do all of them on a single base and track losses another way!

Steve J

From memory CoC is perfect for 15mm figures, as they fit the 'scale' that the game is played. So really in 10mm i'd leave things as they are, unless you want a smaller board, then you could go cm's or just half the inches. I've got some stuff based up on small plastic bases, one figure per base, and they look fine to me. I still haven't played a game with them so not sure if they'll be a pain to move around or need sabot bases.

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Steve J on 19 April 2021, 03:57:23 PM
From memory CoC is perfect for 15mm figures, as they fit the 'scale' that the game is played. So really in 10mm i'd leave things as they are, unless you want a smaller board, then you could go cm's or just half the inches. I've got some stuff based up on small plastic bases, one figure per base, and they look fine to me. I still haven't played a game with them so not sure if they'll be a pain to move around or need sabot bases.

I have a ton on 10 mil 7YW etc with each figure on a single magnetic base grouped together on sabots. Works for me. Change the rules basing requirement, change the sabots.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Orcs

I have played several games of I ain't been shot mum using mutiple based 10mm figures with Sunjester. He based the "big Men" individually with a  either a number of stones to differentiate which was  which ( ie one stone on base was bigman 1 , two stones big man 2 etc) . Then used a dice marker for casualties.

With   Chain of Command with 10mm figures. I would base the leaders on seperate bases , and each team on a base again using a dice to mark casualties .  Change all ranges to cm.

For 20mm I have used different shaped  and size bases to help denote what is what

Senior Leader 2p piece
Junior Leader 20mm x 20mm square
Specailists - engineers, snipers etc 20mm octagons
Crew figures 20mm Hexagon
2 man Heavy weapons team (walking as these blend in more_) 20 or 30mm hexagon.

You could do similar with 10mm . I am sure Leon would cut you some appropriate sized or shaped bases.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

fred.

We played quite a lot of CoC with 10mm figures. I went with figures based in pairs on 30x15mm bases - as this kept numbers down for movement, but still allowed a degree of spreading out. For LMGs and bazooka type weapons went with 2 figs on a 25mm square base. Commanders on 15mm washers. As mentioned above the ground scale is pretty much 1:100, which is 15mm, therefore we played the rules as written. Really gives you the empty battlefield feeling. I set up a few tables based on aerial recon photos, which worked well. Putting in small terrain elements becomes important.

More recently I have done the 3-2-1 basing for some Naps, and would certainly favour this approach if doing figures from scratch, it works well and looks good.

In general I'm a fan of playing '28mm' games as written with smaller figures. I suspect games like Bolt Action would be so much better if played with 10mm or 15mm figures.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

sunjester

As Orcs has said, I've played quite a few games of I Ain't Been Shot Mum with 10mm, which works very well. I've also used 10mm Chain of Command. I used CoC with halved distance on a 3x3 table and as written on a 6x4 table. By not reducing the distances in 10mm gives a  very different feel to the battlefield than using 20mm or 28mm.

goat major

As mentioned above the ground scale for CoC is pretty much equivalent to 10mm you don't need to change anything it will look lovely and probably more realistic than the 28mm setups you see
My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

Leman

Did Dux Britanniarum as three 10mm figures to the equivalent of a 28mm base. I found it gave better looking units. Only real problem was that the Romano-Britons looked great but the proxy later Saxons/Vikings not quite as good. However, once the Picts arrived that improved matters, so I tend to focus on activity up in the vicinity of the Wall.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

steve_holmes_11

I appreciate all the replies.
Since Old Father Time has been on my case, the days of fiddling about with centimetres, and tiny bases are beyond me.

There are certainly some useful suggestions.

For my part, the committee  (That's me talking to myself and my alter ego) is still out on combining TFL and 10mm.

I can see Chain of Command with the men on relatively large bases to give that empty battlefield effect.

For ages when men fought in closer order, I'm inclined to look at multiple men per base.
I can see this working fairly well with Dux Britanniorum,.
I'm less sure how it would interact with the storytelling aspects of Sharp Practice.

Thank you all.

mmcv

If you keep the "big men" as single bases then have multiple infantry on bigger bases it should work reasonably well for SP and the like I imagine. It would still be relatively small forces and probably closer in realistic numbers to what would actually be used in those level of actions. Just have the same number of bases as figures then the removal and counting is easy enough. My main reason for considering 1 fig = 1 base at 10mm is because I'm only wanting to dip my toes into the period and rules as an initial trial before engaging another large project.

Orcs

Quote from: mmcv on 21 April 2021, 12:41:48 PM
I'm only wanting to dip my toes into the period and rules as an initial trial before engaging another large project.

You know as well as the rest of us that dipping toes always leads to getting fully immersed
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

mmcv

Quote from: Orcs on 21 April 2021, 03:42:48 PM
You know as well as the rest of us that dipping toes always leads to getting fully immersed

Of course, but it's all about delaying that immersion to get some ongoing ones shaken off first!