Questions about movement and terrain

Started by Zookie, 06 April 2021, 08:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zookie

Two questions

1.   I am confused about issues with movement in area terrain. The manual refers to certain terrain causing units to move at "a greatly reduced move distance." As near as I can tell terrain does not reduce move distance but requires units to stop at certain points. The only thing I can find about reduced movement is Recce units in mountains and AFVs in wire defense. Am I missing something?

2.   The "Terrain Movement Summary" notes that for some units terrain counts as "O: for obstacle and "D" for Dense. My under standing is that for O terrain you have to stop movement when you hit it and then can move normally the next move and that for D terrain you have to stop as soon as you fully enter it, and right before you leave it. How does the O and D terrain work when combined? My best guess is that if terrain is O and D a unit must stop right outside the terrain (the O affect) then the next move can only enter into the boundary (the D effect) then can move normally inside the terrain. But when leaving the terrain the unit must stop on the edge (but still in terrain) and then can freely move as the O affect would not apply because you already stopped on the edge.

So for a forest that was O for infantry an infantry unit would have to stop right outside the forest. Then it could enter it normally the next move and leave without penalty. For a AFV the terrain would be OD and the unit would have to stop outside the forest. Spend one move to enter the forest. Move normal in the forest, and spend one move to leave the forest.

Is that right?

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

First - welcome. Right - you stop at a wall or the edge of area terrain as you pointed out. If the linear obsticle is in area terrain then you stop at it. Roads and tracks negate terrain
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021