Society of Ancients Battleday: Bosworth refight

Started by Big Insect, 06 April 2021, 02:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Insect

Society of Ancients BattleDay update

With Covid Restrictions due to be lifted in late June 2021, Battleday 2021 (Bosworth) has now been rescheduled to take place on Sunday 15th August 2021 in Newbury.
The venue is Shaw House, Church Road, Newbury RG14 2DR.  The venue, which has a café, will be open at 9am and the event will run until 4pm. The attendance fee will be £10.

Those wishing to attend should now register with Richard Lockwood battleday@soa.org.uk . Since the number of tables is limited, probably 8-10, boards will be allocated on a first come, first served basis. So get your request for a table in quickly. Those without a game will have the opportunity of participating in one of the games being run.

For those unaware of how SoA Battledays work, the format is simple, each year (normally a year ahead of the day) the nominated battle is announced and players are encouraged to attend to put on participation games, in any scale, using any sets of rules, to play the all play that particular battle through on the table-top. You do not have to be an SoA member to attend or put on a game but it is well worth becoming a member. In the past there have been some really interesting presentations and lectures on the nominated battle at the start of the day.

I'd thoroughly recommend it.

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

DecemDave

Good plug Mark .

I should be going.  I doubt my 12mm WOTR army will be ready in time though as its two projects hence. 

Just to add that there should be lots of resources available on the SoA website https://soa.org.uk/joomla/battle-day   (and in Slingshot for members)

Its a popular battle at the conferences and it will be interesting to see if either the glorious Flats version or the fun looking 54mm Britain's swoppets versions re-appear as I missed the latter.  Worth going for either one. 

Dave

FierceKitty

A son that hath killed his father, and a father that hath killed his son, behind Henry VI at Towton (see Henry VI, part iii).
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

FierceKitty

15 April 2021, 10:01:24 AM #3 Last Edit: 15 April 2021, 10:08:47 AM by FierceKitty
The Princes, sons of Edward IV, with Dighton and Forrest about to rearrange their pillows as instructed by uncle Richard (see Richard III).

FierceKitty

15 April 2021, 10:02:04 AM #4 Last Edit: 15 April 2021, 10:08:21 AM by FierceKitty
The Duke of Clarence was stabbed before being dumped in the malmsey-butt (see Richard III). I realise wine alone isn't really that colour (though if I ever have cause to paint up Countess Bathory, I know how to do it).

FierceKitty

Richard of York (to be) and the Duke of Somerset peacefully picking a couple of roses (see Henry VI part i).

FierceKitty

The Duke of Someset kills his perfidious ally Lord Wenlock, just before himself being taken and executed by the victorious Yorkists at Tewkesbury. I've post this before, but it's a better picture this time.

FierceKitty

The point of which is, if you've got WotR forces, don't miss the World War of the Roses do, 22nd/23rd next month.  https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=128570.0 

DecemDave

=)    Wot no Queen Margaret?

Seriously - I love the vignettes although the Richard III society would object to the scurrilous Tudor propaganda.

And thanks for the heads up.  Sadly though my WoTR forces are currently a kind of burgundian/fantasy warmaster army, a pile of  80cm steel bases and a much larger true WoTR lead mountain. But I have a dream....

Hopefully not a parade of ghosts.

FierceKitty

I have got a Queen Margaret, fear not. But I have made provision in the events cards for her to take personal command of a unit, so she isn't based for baggage.