Black uniforms: Advice sought

Started by fsn, 02 April 2021, 01:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DecemDave

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 03 April 2021, 08:29:30 AM
Yes.
Two sources of wisdom apply.
The first is "fade to grey" or "objects appear lighter" at distance.
The second if Father Ted "Only priest's socks are black Douglas, others are dark dark dark dark dark blue".

Also give some thought to the meaning of "black" in the cays before synthetic dyes.

Love it.  Father Ted as a primary wargames source.  "Those are not small 10mm figures Dougal, they are far, far away......"  has anyone made an Escape from the Lingerie department game yet?

John Cook

03 April 2021, 03:01:32 PM #16 Last Edit: 03 April 2021, 03:06:19 PM by John Cook
There is no pure black in nature so, like Paulr, I use Vallejo Black Grey with a black wash, then dry (very) brushed with khaki grey, which is what use to highlight generally because it gives a slightly dusty effect which I like.  Look at that picture you posted - it is essentially multiple shades of grey.  You could highlight with a light grey, even white if you prefer a more pristine effect.

Big Insect

Quote from: paulr on 03 April 2021, 12:26:13 AM
I find black too dark for 10mm so use Vallejo Black Grey highlighted Basalt Grey for all my blacks

Likewise  :D (great minds paulr) - I also put a small amount of matt black into the matt varnish I use* as that picks out detail and deep creases etc. Not to much or they start to look dirty - especially flesh and white equipment.
* I gave up on the army painter varnish washes as I found them too unpredictable and brutal.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Big Insect

03 April 2021, 08:30:17 PM #18 Last Edit: 03 April 2021, 08:36:31 PM by Big Insect
Pre synthetic dyes, a lot of 'black' coloring was produced in a way that actually corroded the structure of the fabric.

I found this  (really interesting) blog on-line which I thought was helpful - especially the bit about the colour being corrosive. I also read that it was not particularly 'fast'.
https://refashioningrenaissance.eu/exploring-historical-blacks-the-burgundian-black-collaboratory/

In the C14th/C15th - when black clothing (for upper class men especially) was a sign of wealth - partly because it was expensive, but also because it really shows up the dirt so easily. This Oak Apple (gall) method seemed to be the primary source of black cloth dye. The same process was used from the Roman empire right up to the C17th for writing ink using iron filings and oak apples (galls).
However, it does dissolve woolen cloth specifically - so not only were your black cloths costly. they didn't last too long! As most Napoleonic Wars uniforms were made of wool, and the oak gall method was expensive, I suspect that the over-painting method described in the blog might have been used for mass produced uniforms. So a hint of red or blue in the black might be a good way to highlight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_apple

Not sure how the Chinese dyed silks black.
Some linen is naturally black when it is first made, but like most linen it lightens with sunlight and washing.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

fsn

Just had a thought.

I'm also looking towards doing an Austrian army.  :(
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

hammurabi70

Quote from: Big Insect on 03 April 2021, 08:30:17 PM
Pre synthetic dyes, a lot of 'black' coloring was produced in a way that actually corroded the structure of the fabric.

I found this  (really interesting) blog on-line which I thought was helpful - especially the bit about the colour being corrosive. I also read that it was not particularly 'fast'.
https://refashioningrenaissance.eu/exploring-historical-blacks-the-burgundian-black-collaboratory/

In the C14th/C15th - when black clothing (for upper class men especially) was a sign of wealth - partly because it was expensive, but also because it really shows up the dirt so easily. This Oak Apple (gall) method seemed to be the primary source of black cloth dye. The same process was used from the Roman empire right up to the C17th for writing ink using iron filings and oak apples (galls).
However, it does dissolve woolen cloth specifically - so not only were your black cloths costly. they didn't last too long! As most Napoleonic Wars uniforms were made of wool, and the oak gall method was expensive, I suspect that the over-painting method described in the blog might have been used for mass produced uniforms. So a hint of red or blue in the black might be a good way to highlight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_apple

Some linen is naturally black when it is first made, but like most linen it lightens with sunlight and washing.

A reenactor once advised me that black dye technology was introduced in the fourteenth century; as a novel process it was presumably expensive when first done.  I gather the Jesuits choosing black robes is as much a fashion statement as anything else.  Inexpensive purple dye was created in the nineteenth century; I would be interested if anyone knows how widespread its use was prior to the Victorian era.  Apart from Emperor's robes when else was it used?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

hammurabi70

Quote from: Lord Speedy of Leighton on 04 April 2021, 12:50:39 AM
You need to read this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mauve-Invented-Color-Changed-World/dp/1435296699

Thank you; it looks like an interesting read.  Of course there is detail here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple

My concerns are the general availability in ancient times in military use.  For example, were the Vexillia used by the forces of the Byzantine Empire predominantly coloured in imperial purple or city red?  Was the emblem of the Sassanian forces in purple or royal blue? A google search will generate suggestions each way.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Big Insect on 03 April 2021, 08:30:17 PM

The Chinese used tannin-rich mud from tropical river deltas.

toxicpixie

Quote from: fsn on 03 April 2021, 10:15:15 AM
Thank you gentlemen.

Might have to try the contrast black.  :-

I've found it great on 20mm plastics - not tried on 10mm but I suspect it'll be a very easy time saver!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

DHautpol

My approach is a grey wash over black.

In particular, Howard Hues "Panzer Grey" (1719), thinned to taste, over Liquitex Black Gesso.

I use the "Black Undercoat" method and I find black gesso works very well (grey and white versions are available too).  It can be sploshed on and dries really tightly so the detail is not obscured.  It also has what I believe is termed "tooth", meaning it grips the paint well; I once tried GW Chaos Black and the surface was quite slippery and I found I was dragging the subsequent colour about on the surface rather than having it cover.
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2018 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Heedless Horseman

I haven't actually painted anything for a while, and have not tried the Vallejo equivalent, but thought Revel 'Anthracite' was a very good 'off black'. I find true black a bit too 'harsh' for 10mm for uniform or headgear... and definitely for 'dusty' / 'worn' boots! OK for leather belts etc. as contrast over 'off black'.
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Leman

Stopped using black ages ago and only use Vallejo black grey these days.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Techno II

What surprises me is how 'black' police uniforms sometimes appear on the TV

To my poor old eyes, they definitely look a dark brown. (Usually when the 'boys in blue' are in bright sunshine.) :-\

Cheers - Phil. :)

paulr

Quote from: Leman on 13 May 2021, 06:59:05 PM
Stopped using black ages ago and only use Vallejo black grey these days.

Seconded, Basalt grey is a good highlight / dry brush
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!