Warlord Epic scale

Started by Redstef, 30 March 2021, 10:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Nicely done Jim. I went for the simple expedient of not filling his paricular space but doing the back rank of his base and all other bases in the unit. I also gave him sergeant stripes to explain his unusual position.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

John Cook

I struggle to get the point of this range of uniquely sized figures with, judging from posts her and elsewhere, several accuracy issues and high prices for follow-on sets.  I can see, though, that once committed to this range, Warlord probably think the have the customer by the short hairs.

What is their advantage over 10mm figures, Pendraken's in particular?

Good on Pendraken though, for allowing a competitor to receive significant exposure.

paulr

A cunning plan Jim, well executed ;) :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

Nice work, Jim. Like the Kallistra stuff and comparison.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

John, I don't get football, but so what.

jimduncanuk

Quote from: John Cook on 19 April 2021, 09:38:37 AM

Good on Pendraken though, for allowing a competitor to receive significant exposure.

The other companies involved in this are:

Warlord Games - they've sold an awful lot of these figures so far both to existing collectors and newbies. They will get continuing sales as some collectors like to keep their collections 'pure'.

Kallistra - they will continue to sell their own stuff no problem with additional sales from collectors like me who use compatible figures from other manufacturers to bolster their collections. Kallistra and Pendraken collaborate quite a lot behind the scenes already so good for both.

Pendraken - will pick up some sales of ACW as interest in the period is renewed/re-inforced possibly amongst the existing 10 mil 'fanatics'.

My Ego forbids a signature.

John Cook

Quote from: Leman on 19 April 2021, 01:28:29 PM
John, I don't get football, but so what.
The "so what" is "what is their advantage over 10mm figures, Pendraken's in particular?"  I was hoping somebody could explain.  

John Cook

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 19 April 2021, 04:00:06 PM
The other companies involved in this are:

Warlord Games - they've sold an awful lot of these figures so far both to existing collectors and newbies. They will get continuing sales as some collectors like to keep their collections 'pure'.

Kallistra - they will continue to sell their own stuff no problem with additional sales from collectors like me who use compatible figures from other manufacturers to bolster their collections. Kallistra and Pendraken collaborate quite a lot behind the scenes already so good for both.

Pendraken - will pick up some sales of ACW as interest in the period is renewed/re-inforced possibly amongst the existing 10 mil 'fanatics'.

Thanks for the answer.  Are not Pendraken's 10mm incompatible with these and Kalistra's stuff?  Perhaps you can also help Leman with soccer.

jimduncanuk

Pendraken are 10mm, theoretically. I've never accurately measured them but they are smaller than Kallistra figures.

Kallistra are 12mm. There are comparison pictures available if you 'google' around.

Warlord Games EPIC are 13.5 mm foot to eye so are around 15mm.

Most 15mm manufacturers figures are a wee bit bigger.

The advantage of the Warlord EPIC ACW is that you get very good value for your buck for their initial offering which was for an awful lot of infantry. They are less attractive for their Wave 2 and Wave 3 offerings hence the search around other manufacturers.

Now, football.

I have medals for football from Junior School days. Not for High School days as football was banned, rugby or cricket was your only option. As an adult I played for the departments intra-mural 11-a side football team until I was 49 years old when repeated injuries took me out. I also played indoor 5-a side being a competent shot stopper.

So, football, soccer to many, what would you like to know?

Leman

Not a lot really. I find it really rather boring and unfathomable as 20 men run around on a lawn in no particular way kicking a ball about which sometimes goes into a net. Apparently you can become far wealthier than a heart surgeon doing this.

On the grittier question I like joined together figures which produce close order blocks. All joined together they are quicker and easier to paint than individual figures. I find modern plastic figures take paint more readily than metal figures.That's what I get, but not everyone will, or want to.

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Leman on 19 April 2021, 07:11:08 PM

Not a lot really. I find it really rather boring and unfathomable as 20 men run around on a lawn in no particular way kicking a ball about which sometimes goes into a net. Apparently you can become far wealthier than a heart surgeon doing this.

At a very basic level you can grab a bunch of guys, split into two teams, play some football. You can do that almost anywhere on the planet.

Quote from: Leman on 19 April 2021, 07:11:08 PM

On the grittier question I like joined together figures which produce close order blocks. All joined together they are quicker and easier to paint than individual figures. I find modern plastic figures take paint more readily than metal figures.That's what I get, but not everyone will, or want to.

I like the figures strips too as well as my best mate. We both liked Warmaster when it first came out and the figures were in strips then too.

John Cook

Thanks Jim that is pretty much my understanding.  The initial release, then, is a bait in an attempt to hook people on their system, subsequent issues of which will be much more expensive. 

KeithS

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 19 April 2021, 04:00:06 PM

Well they benefitted from me, as I initially ordered the Warlord starter set, but started to get cold feet due to the thought of the painting exercise involved, then along came the LaSalle 2 rules and being ever fickle I decided to go Napoleonics and cancelled my order.  However, the thought of going 10mm or thereabouts has been seeded and where else to go but Pendraken. So even though I bought a reasonable number of Napoleonics  the painting is still more manageable.
I'll bring up the rest of the brigade.

Leman

I have been longing to get my 15mm Italian Wars figures up and running but I am a slow painter owing to my shakey hands. Then I discovered the WoFun Games' Renaissance range in 18mm and 28mm. Bought a couple of 18mm armies which use back and front illustrations by Peter Dennis. Not to everyone's taste but it does mean I can put the units straight out of the box onto the table and play. The units generally cover the Agnadello to Pavia period, but there are both early and later reiters in there, so maybe they are intending to expand into the later C16th. They also do the Peninsula War in 28mm and 18mm using Peter Dennis illustrations as well as other periods from Ancients through to the ACW, with others up to WWII planned. A very interesting collaboration between UK and Romania.

Raider4

I've got a couple of the Peter Dennis "paperboys" books - boy is it tedious cutting out those figures :(