Warlord Epic scale

Started by Redstef, 30 March 2021, 10:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Cook

Quote from: Redstef on 31 March 2021, 03:52:23 PM
The flags are hand painted. I really like painting flags and its the bit of the unit I look forward to. They are the tissue that comes with new shirts with a bit of tin foil in the middle so they hold the wave.

They look very good too.  Regardless of whether I buy or hand paint my flags, I keep them as masters, scan them and print copies.  There is nothing less attractive, in my view, that a flag that looks like a fence panel on a pole.  I fix mine to the staff with PVA glue which makes them slightly damp and then drape them before they dry.  They dry hard and retain whatever wave you have given them.

mmcv

Speaking of Warlord, did anyone see their April fools?  ;D

The flags are hand painted. I really like painting flags and its the bit of the unit I look forward to. They are the tissue that comes with new shirts with a bit of tin foil in the middle so they hold the wave.

That's a nice tip. I try and handpaint all my flags, mostly just been using graph paper and paint then pva and a bit of a wrinkle, but doesn't always come out so well. My skill is no where near your level so the flags don't often look all that well, but enjoy the challenge of painting them for improving my detail skills.

Do you form them first then paint them, or paint them flat then wrinkle them?

Redstef

I paint them first in the base colours, then fold on the pole and allow the PVA to dry (the halves slip if you don't). Then put the wave in to taste or more likely the restriction of the surrounding figures and add the highlights where appropriate.
"From each according to ability, to each according to need" Karl Marx.............I really need those figures

2015 Painting Competition - People's Choice!
2016 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 4 x Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner, 1 x Runner-Up!

mmcv

Quote from: Redstef on 01 April 2021, 06:12:58 PM
I paint them first in the base colours, then fold on the pole and allow the PVA to dry (the halves slip if you don't). Then put the wave in to taste or more likely the restriction of the surrounding figures and add the highlights where appropriate.

Thanks for the tip

Ace of Spades

Quote from: John Cook on 01 April 2021, 12:28:29 PM
Not sure about that.  In between battles, which comprised most of their time, and if the memoires etc., are anything to go by, soldiers spent most of their time drilling and training generally.  They might not have looked so smart, but I think most regiments, on both sides, had a lot of formal training.   On route, when marching 'at ease', they probably carried their weapons as they chose, but on the battlefield a regiment would have been uniform in this respect, typicaly with muskets at the right shoulder.

You're absolutely right John. The troops in the ACW were relatively well drilled but maybe not so disciplined. Equipment was lacking in some cases but what they had would be worn in a prescribed fashion. Cartridgebox on the right hip, percussion cap pouch right front. These positions were clear and mandatory; if you would change these around you would not be able to reload or fire a musket in line. Same goes for the bayonet on the left hip.
Haversack/breadbag and canteen go on the left rear so they don't interfere with your cartridgebox. There is a reason for all this.
As you also stated they were pretty good; drill would be strict and the manual of arms well imprinted. In a line (especially in a double line with muskets and bayonets protruding through the front rank) it is of great importance that everybody moves and acts the same.
The liberties Warlord have taken are just silly and mainly based on money I fear. They've always been willing to sacrifice authenticity for money and this product sadly seems to be no different. The way they come up with the prices for their products is a joke too. They sell you a limber in 12mm for 12,- while you can get two at Kallistra voor 6,-! Plus they look better... Kallistra command sets cost 6,- and give you 6 sets of foot command plus several mounted commanders; WG sells you 5 foot command strips for 12,- It does become a selffulfilling prophecy though; for that price you won't sell many so they have to be more expensive because you don't expect to sell a lot of them so better make them more expensive so you..etc.etc.  The Black Powder rules don't really help either as you dont need limbers for your guns for example. It's all a bit Games Workshop; you write the rules, tell people how many of a certain model they can deploy and then make those items extra expensive because you can only sell so few... good marketing trick I'll give you that!

Still; these little guys look good in the field as long as you don't come to close to notice all their faults or the fact that their 1st Sergeants were sacked during the first week of enlistment. The fact that they are opening up small scale wargaming to a whole new generation on the other hand is absolutely a benefit and something in itself worth supporting.

Cheers,
Rob

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ace of Spades

My compliments; they really look beautiful on these models!

Cheers,
Rob

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Smithy

Lovely painting work

Regards close order drill, I spent a few years as an ACW reenactor and whilst I don't claim this to be a factual representation of actual combat / the period etc we did use a period arms manual for drill so a couple of possible pertinent points.
We only did maybe 12 events a year but very quickly you (I) was drilled into the manual of arms etc. In close order not shifting your rifle correctly had a significant impact on line dressing not to mention possibly lumping someone round the head or body with a large wood and metal object.
We very rarely fixed bayonets for drill or action mostly due to the risk involved in incorrect arms movements (as well as the chance someone might get carried away in close combat)

Also as previously stated if you didn't have cartridge box and percussion cap holder in the prescribed position it would be very difficult and disruptive to your adjacent file to try and reload

Leman

Yes, I did see the Warlord April fool - can't wait for 2077 to roll around.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Westmarcher

One of the good things about the epic scale approach is the way in which actual close order is depicted. All too often do we see wargamers mounting their figures in an open order style when basing their horse & musket era miniatures when, imo, they should be basing them closer together.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Battleback

Quote from: Westmarcher on 07 April 2021, 12:53:52 PM
One of the good things about the epic scale approach is the way in which actual close order is depicted. All too often do we see wargamers mounting their figures in an open order style when basing their horse & musket era miniatures when, imo, they should be basing them closer together.
Thats the main reason why I like these figures and why I bought the starter set. I really like the mass look you get with 20 models per base in 13.5mm scale figures. It has a very unique look that's appealing to me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ace of Spades

Quote from: Westmarcher on 07 April 2021, 12:53:52 PM
I totally agree! Do clip a few mm's of the edges of the Epic bases though so that the gaps are eliminated. Makes it all look so much better. As soon as Pendraken comes up with a more practical solution of posting pictures I'll post some of what I've done up till now.

Cheers,
Rob

Leman

Well, give Old Glory and Baccus their due. Their respective 10mm and 6mm formed infantry are made in joined at the elbow strips. These are my 10mm OG Prussian line, with Pendraken grenadiers based four abreast to give the same impression.

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Redstef

Good job on those.
It was only after reading the text I saw that the Grenadiers had a four figure frontage and were not the same as the others.
"From each according to ability, to each according to need" Karl Marx.............I really need those figures

2015 Painting Competition - People's Choice!
2016 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 4 x Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner, 1 x Runner-Up!

John Cook

Quote from: Ace of Spades on 08 April 2021, 07:54:33 AM
I totally agree! Do clip a few mm's of the edges of the Epic bases though so that the gaps are eliminated. Makes it all look so much better. As soon as Pendraken comes up with a more practical solution of posting pictures I'll post some of what I've done up till now.

Cheers,
Rob

If I can master imgur, anybody can.