The Austrians are coming

Started by Smithy, 29 March 2021, 06:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redstef

excellent work. I was going to use a 30x20 base for my Napoleonic infantry but having seen yours I may have to reconsider
"From each according to ability, to each according to need" Karl Marx.............I really need those figures

2015 Painting Competition - People's Choice!
2016 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 4 x Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner, 1 x Runner-Up!

KeithS

Quote from: Smithy on 31 March 2021, 08:26:07 PM
Thanks Keith, not really been drinking during lockdown so that's probably helped!!! Still not nailing the detail but pretty happy with progress. Only started painting 10mm about December last year and it's amazing the effect you can get for much less time when compared to 28mm etc

You seem to have a fair bit of detail in there.  I am in the same boat in that I have only recently started on 10mm.  I have painted 20mm before, a long time ago, and 6mm WW2, which are fairly easy as you really can't do detail on those and WW2 doesn't have the same uniform complexity of Napoleonics in any case.  The 10mm scale seems to fall slightly between the two stools, good sculpts to tempt you into painting detail but small enough to make it tricky to actually achieve it.  I tried painting the backpack straps as you have done but gave up as the smallest tremor caused the paint to smear.
I'll bring up the rest of the brigade.

Smithy

To me it's amazing the detail on these 10mm figures and then I remember that someone has sculpted them! My blanket roll straps are pretty untidy on close inspection ( I've ended up just doing a straight line not necessarily following the sculpt lines as I tend to make a mess!

paulr

I find that having the detail painted even if a little untidily looks much better, a wash helps tidy the details
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

I find magic wash, as used by Fat Wally, makes a massive difference to my painting.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!