A small Wars of the Roses action

Started by Norm, 28 March 2021, 08:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

28 March 2021, 08:19:16 AM Last Edit: 28 March 2021, 08:23:35 AM by Norm
1471 - the Battle at Beacan farm. A fictitious Wars of the Roses setting, using a 4' x 3' table with 28mm figures.

This action brings the French mercenaries to a small hamlet on the estates of Lord Darcy.

LINK

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2021/03/1471-rendezvous-and-ambush-at-piggy.html

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

mmcv

Steve J

fred.

Great looking figures and terrain Norm

I know it was a small game, but I think it nicely illustrates the 28mm contradiction - close up shots look great, but the wider shots show the low figure count units in battle lines which then rather look sparse. Not a criticism of your setup, it's really the general case with 28mm mass battle. 10mm could be argued to be the opposite, wide shots look like a battle, but close up shots are much less impressive.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Leman

Great looking game. I am planning on something similar for the future - a bit of Condotta rivalry in the early C16th.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Norm

Thanks all. Fred, I think that is exactly so. I have been testing some 15mm pike on 2 x 40mm bases, so getting the same 80mm frontages, they are ranked in 3 rows of 4 to give 12 figures per base and 24 for the unit, they look quite phalanx like, surprisingly the 28mm pike block has 17 figures, not that much less, but it is the figure rather than the unit that is striking and it would really need two of those bases together for the right look in battle terms.

The thing about this is if I go with the same frontages of 80mm for a 'unit', then in reality you end up with the same number of units on the table and it simple becomes an aesthetical thing, rather than a mechanical thing, but the 28's are begging for fleshing out.

I have more units on painting sticks that will start to pad out the forces, but I think there is an audience who can only do small 28mm collections, who like the aesthetics and want to get them to a small table and in that regard, I hope my inclination towards small table gaming helps inspire that audience.

I am forever in a scale quandary and so have stuff in too many scales, lucky is the person who has one scale and one period and storage is never an issue :-)

Norm

28 March 2021, 10:50:51 AM #7 Last Edit: 28 March 2021, 11:15:15 AM by Norm
Andy, I remember ages ago you saying that you picked up Perry plastics from your local store in The UK, are these the figures you will be using?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno II

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!