Hello from Berkshire

Started by Blodwin, 27 March 2021, 12:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blodwin

Hello forum,

Quick introduction, I've been wargaming for well over 40 years and to my shame have not gamed with 10mm figures until about a year ago. I have predominantly been a solo player thought that time, work, family and life impacting on social gaming. I'm now retired - so let the games begin.

Anyway - during this unusual year, I became interested in the War of the Pacific 1879 - 1884 and came across Pebdraken's excellent range - hence my venture into the world of 10mm. Im just finishing of all the units to re create the Battle of San Francisco, November 1879.

Looking forward to seeing them in action with a "live" opponent - just hope the Bolivians stay on the table long enough.

Now looking at a new venue, in 10mm of course, hence recent query on the 2nd Carnatic war of 1749 - 1754 posted on the forum.

Hopefully the circuit of wargame shows will commence again later this year and I am especially looking forward to Warfare on 27th & 28th November at their new venue at Ascot racecourse - hopefully see you all there.

Regards Blodwin

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Hi and enjoy, you will of course be insulted (mostly by me)  ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Norm

Hi Blodwin, welcome to the forum, look forward to some pics of your planned battle

fsn

Hello Blodwin.

Good find! 10mm is the way to go, and Pendraken is a great company.

This forum ... well let's just say it's an acquired taste, but well worth acquiring.

I will admit I know nothing about the War of the Pacific. Please don't enlighten me, I am very susceptible to new projects and I don't need another project. 

Enjoy!
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

Welcome aboard! What rules are you using for the War of the Pacific? I'm quite tempted myself, picked up a copy of "its getting a bit Chile" that I've been flicking through the last week.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

d_Guy

Sleep with clean hands ...

Steve J

Blodwin

Many thanks for all your welcome comments.

Quote from: mmcv on 27 March 2021, 12:59:42 PM
Welcome aboard! What rules are you using for the War of the Pacific? I'm quite tempted myself, picked up a copy of "its getting a bit Chile" that I've been flicking through the last week.

I too bought the rules "it's getting a bit Chile" and found they contain a lot of useful information to start gaming in the period  - but they do promote a grid based system which I am not a fan - there is a section which converts the rules to a none girded system but i have not used it.

I wrote my own rules for the period, which unashamedly is a collaboration of the bits I like from other rule sets  - plus I find this to be an enjoyable part of our hobby - as I mainly play solo I only have to myself to please. :)

I found the the five year period of the war to be fascinating, three separate reasonably small armies, colourful uniforms, basically Napoleonic tactics with breech loading weapons of mixed quality, eccentric generals, four differing land campaigns, amphibious landings, coastal, dessert & mountainous battlefields, politics, dodgy alliances & supply issues - all wonderful food for gaming  - plus it's something different to the mainstream.

Go on give it a try.

Techno II

If I haven't said it somewhere else....A very warm welcome Blodwin.

Cheers - Phil :)

Orcs

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

paulr

Welcome Blodwin

You look to be delving into some interesting and definitely non-mainstream periods :)
One of the advantages of playing solo that I hadn't considered, "I only have to myself to please"

I look forward to seeing some pictures and battle reports
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

Quote from: Blodwin on 27 March 2021, 04:45:57 PM
Many thanks for all your welcome comments.

I too bought the rules "it's getting a bit Chile" and found they contain a lot of useful information to start gaming in the period  - but they do promote a grid based system which I am not a fan - there is a section which converts the rules to a none girded system but i have not used it.

I wrote my own rules for the period, which unashamedly is a collaboration of the bits I like from other rule sets  - plus I find this to be an enjoyable part of our hobby - as I mainly play solo I only have to myself to please. :)

I found the the five year period of the war to be fascinating, three separate reasonably small armies, colourful uniforms, basically Napoleonic tactics with breech loading weapons of mixed quality, eccentric generals, four differing land campaigns, amphibious landings, coastal, dessert & mountainous battlefields, politics, dodgy alliances & supply issues - all wonderful food for gaming  - plus it's something different to the mainstream.

Go on give it a try.

Quite so, I mostly play solo myself and have been enjoying turning my hand to developing homebrew rules when off-the-shelf ones don't quite satisfy.

I'm drawn to it because it's unusual and not a well-known conflict, there's something quite appealing about delving into the lesser-known areas of history and less popular conflicts amongst wargamers. Plus you basically get to paint up Franco-Prussian war style uniforms without having to field huge armies, and there's plenty of potential for small engagement fun.

I've just ordered a few bits to expand/start other projects that were ahead of War of the Pacific in the queue, but it is a strong contender once I reduce the lead pile a little!

Look forward to seeing your progress.