Pendraken Miniatures Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
14 April 2021, 03:02:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check our 2020 Releases Summary to see f you've missed anything!
321608 Posts in 18504 Topics by 2312 Members
Latest Member: Zookie
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Pendraken Miniatures Forum
|-+  Pendraken Releases, Requests and Photos!
| |-+  New Figure Previews
| | |-+  Peninsular Naps British!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Peninsular Naps British!  (Read 1567 times)
fred.
Lieutenant General

« Reply #15 on: 27 March 2021, 07:36:35 AM »

Putty Forensic Analysis

A new series on Channel 5, hosted by John with technical input from Techno

Tongue

If I was Tony Id now be adding a tiny amount of ink to the putty to change the shade....

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!
Techno II
Colonel

« Reply #16 on: 27 March 2021, 10:17:10 AM »

Oh....Stop it !  Wink

The nearest 'colour' that I can equate to with Tony's figures....Is that it looks SLIGHTLY similar to green stuff....After the model has been pressed in a mould.
The heat from the process tends to change the colour of the G/S to a dirty 'browny' green....But not as dark as the figures pictured.

For all I know, Tony might add Red Sylmasta putty to the green.........He might not even use G/S. Shocked

There's one putty, made by the same folk that 'do' G/S, that IS brown. (If it exists anymore)

Lovely putty to work with......but SO expensive....and it goes off so quickly....and once 'set'....is so brittle, you can't adjust 'things' with a simple bend without it shattering.

My personal putties of choice are......Kneadatite (Green-stuff) .....Magic Sculp...(which I'll mix with the G/S to produce a very soft, light green coloured putty.).....and Milliput.

Cheers - Phil. Smiley

I really shouldn't press buttons...before I know what will happen.
Probably STILL the most picked on member of the forum since the year dot.
DecemDave
Second Lieutenant

« Reply #17 on: 27 March 2021, 10:18:35 AM »

Sorry to spoil the fun but has anybody thought of asking the sculptor what he used?   Wink
ianrs54
Playtester
General

« Reply #18 on: 27 March 2021, 11:12:35 AM »

Sorry to spoil the fun but has anybody thought of asking the sculptor what he used?   Wink

That is far too obvious for the members on here !  Evil

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF HURRAY
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021
Techno II
Colonel

« Reply #19 on: 27 March 2021, 11:48:55 AM »

Yes....but he never answers. Roll eyes

Do you truly believe that hasn't been tried ?  I don't want to see

Cheers - Phil.

DecemDave
Second Lieutenant

« Reply #20 on: 27 March 2021, 05:58:15 PM »

Do you truly believe that hasn't been tried ?  I don't want to see

Cheers - Phil.
[/quote]

No just trying for a cheap laugh.   Embarrassed

How about all us non-kickstarters ask for our money back until he reveals the secret? 

John Cook
Lieutenant Colonel

« Reply #21 on: 27 March 2021, 06:39:19 PM »

My personal putties of choice are......Kneadatite (Green-stuff) .....Magic Sculp...(which I'll mix with the G/S to produce a very soft, light green coloured putty.).....and Milliput.

Miliput?  How 'old school'.  I thought I was the only person still using it.  What do you use it for?  I find is good as a filler and for large models.  Never had much success using it for 10mm stuff though. 
Leon
Viscount

« Reply #22 on: 05 April 2021, 09:33:13 PM »

I have news from the distant shores...

"Well, that brown stuff I'm using is called, er, Brown Stuff. Yes, really. Available from eBay, but they send it from Spain. The blurb says it's 'better for beginners' - so I thought I should switch!

Seriously, it is very good, I would say a bit stiffer than Green Stuff / Duro, and sets harder, so doesn't require Milliput to be separately mixed & added to it as I usually do. The real determining factor however is not the putty, but the weather. The temperature really. And how much sleep I've had!"

www.pendraken.co.uk - Home to over 4200 products of shiny 10mm goodness!
www.minibits.net - MDF bases, Vallejo paints, I-94 decals, Red Vectors MDF buildings, Raiden Miniatures, Militia Miniatures and more!
Techno II
Colonel

« Reply #23 on: 06 April 2021, 07:30:15 AM »

Ohhhhhh ! Roll eyes

The Kneadatite 'Brown stuff' I've used in the past, looks a fair bit darker once mixed.....But it certainly sets 'harder' than Green stuff.....It's actually quite brittle, once it's set.
It is/was a lovely putty to work with....VERY easy to smooth....But 'goes off' faster than I really like.....(I'd waste even more of that.)

But.....

Last time I tried to get some.....I was really put off by the price....It WAS around the same price as G/S.....But instead of the best part of a metre of G/S, you'd get around 10cm of Brown stuff for the same amount of dosh !! Shocked

I know there are quite a few places that sell shorter strips of G/S......But THAT is an expensive way to buy it, if you get through as much as I do.

Good to know, anyway.

Cheers - Phil. Smiley

DecemDave
Second Lieutenant

« Reply #24 on: 06 April 2021, 08:42:31 AM »

I have news from the distant shores...

"Well, that brown stuff I'm using is called, er, Brown Stuff. Yes, really. Available from eBay, but they send it from Spain. The blurb says it's 'better for beginners' - so I thought I should switch!

Seriously, it is very good, I would say a bit stiffer than Green Stuff / Duro, and sets harder, so doesn't require Milliput to be separately mixed & added to it as I usually do. The real determining factor however is not the putty, but the weather. The temperature really. And how much sleep I've had!"

See - you only had to ask   Tongue
 Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Techno II
Colonel

« Reply #25 on: 06 April 2021, 09:01:04 AM »

Nah......

Leon just made that up, just to keep me from asking the same question, over and over again.  Wink

Cheers - Phil Grin Grin

ianrs54
Playtester
General

« Reply #26 on: 06 April 2021, 09:11:18 AM »

Nah......

Leon just made that up, just to keep me from asking the same question, over and over again.  Wink

Cheers - Phil Grin Grin

Well you can be a tad repetitive Phil  Wink

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF HURRAY
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021
Lord Speedy of Leighton
Marquis

« Reply #27 on: 06 April 2021, 09:15:26 AM »

There's the pot calling the kettle...

You may refer to me as:
Lord Speedy of Leighton.

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner 😎
Lord Speedy of Leighton.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: