Peninsular Naps British!

Started by Leon, 24 March 2021, 08:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred.

Putty Forensic Analysis

A new series on Channel 5, hosted by John with technical input from Techno

:P

If I was Tony I'd now be adding a tiny amount of ink to the putty to change the shade....
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Techno II

Oh....Stop it !  ;)

The nearest 'colour' that I can equate to with Tony's figures....Is that it looks SLIGHTLY similar to green stuff....After the model has been pressed in a mould.
The heat from the process tends to change the colour of the G/S to a dirty 'browny' green....But not as dark as the figures pictured.

For all I know, Tony might add Red Sylmasta putty to the green.........He might not even use G/S. :o

There's one putty, made by the same folk that 'do' G/S, that IS brown. (If it exists anymore)

Lovely putty to work with......but SO expensive....and it goes off so quickly....and once 'set'....is so brittle, you can't adjust 'things' with a simple bend without it shattering.

My personal putties of choice are......Kneadatite (Green-stuff) .....Magic Sculp...(which I'll mix with the G/S to produce a very soft, light green coloured putty.).....and Milliput.

Cheers - Phil. :)

DecemDave

Sorry to spoil the fun but has anybody thought of asking the sculptor what he used?   ;)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: DecemDave on 27 March 2021, 10:18:35 AM
Sorry to spoil the fun but has anybody thought of asking the sculptor what he used?   ;)

That is far too obvious for the members on here !  :d
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno II

Quote from: DecemDave on 27 March 2021, 10:18:35 AM

Yes....but he never answers. =)

Do you truly believe that hasn't been tried ?  X_X

Cheers - Phil.

DecemDave

Do you truly believe that hasn't been tried ?  X_X

Cheers - Phil.
[/quote]

No just trying for a cheap laugh.   :-[

How about all us non-kickstarters ask for our money back until he reveals the secret? 

John Cook

Quote from: Techno II on 27 March 2021, 10:17:10 AM

My personal putties of choice are......Kneadatite (Green-stuff) .....Magic Sculp...(which I'll mix with the G/S to produce a very soft, light green coloured putty.).....and Milliput.

Miliput?  How 'old school'.  I thought I was the only person still using it.  What do you use it for?  I find is good as a filler and for large models.  Never had much success using it for 10mm stuff though. 

Leon

I have news from the distant shores...

"Well, that brown stuff I'm using is called, er, Brown Stuff. Yes, really. Available from eBay, but they send it from Spain. The blurb says it's 'better for beginners' - so I thought I should switch!

Seriously, it is very good, I would say a bit stiffer than Green Stuff / Duro, and sets harder, so doesn't require Milliput to be separately mixed & added to it as I usually do. The real determining factor however is not the putty, but the weather. The temperature really. And how much sleep I've had!"
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno II

Ohhhhhh ! =)

The Kneadatite 'Brown stuff' I've used in the past, looks a fair bit darker once mixed.....But it certainly sets 'harder' than Green stuff.....It's actually quite brittle, once it's set.
It is/was a lovely putty to work with....VERY easy to smooth....But 'goes off' faster than I really like.....(I'd waste even more of that.)

But.....

Last time I tried to get some.....I was really put off by the price....It WAS around the same price as G/S.....But instead of the best part of a metre of G/S, you'd get around 10cm of Brown stuff for the same amount of dosh !! :o

I know there are quite a few places that sell shorter strips of G/S......But THAT is an expensive way to buy it, if you get through as much as I do.

Good to know, anyway.

Cheers - Phil. :)

DecemDave

Quote from: Leon on 05 April 2021, 09:33:13 PM
I have news from the distant shores...

"Well, that brown stuff I'm using is called, er, Brown Stuff. Yes, really. Available from eBay, but they send it from Spain. The blurb says it's 'better for beginners' - so I thought I should switch!

Seriously, it is very good, I would say a bit stiffer than Green Stuff / Duro, and sets harder, so doesn't require Milliput to be separately mixed & added to it as I usually do. The real determining factor however is not the putty, but the weather. The temperature really. And how much sleep I've had!"

See - you only had to ask   :P
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Techno II

Nah......

Leon just made that up, just to keep me from asking the same question, over and over again.  ;)

Cheers - Phil ;D ;D

Quote from: Techno II on 06 April 2021, 09:01:04 AM
Nah......

Leon just made that up, just to keep me from asking the same question, over and over again.  ;)

Cheers - Phil ;D ;D

Well you can be a tad repetitive Phil  ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

There's the pot calling the kettle...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Dragoon

When are the Brits going to be in the shop for sale?
If the Line & Light Infantry are ready then these are the bulk of a Brit army  I'd like to make a start on painting them that would encourage me to try out the optimum size for a table, be it in 6x4 or 6x5 or 6x6 modules. My garage is 19'X19' interior measurements.

These days I have trouble getting into  under table cupboards so all this has to do with space around the table. Previously I've had a 6x16 table but usin AoE rules meant unles I was replaying Borodino I didn't actually need that size so i have an indoor 6x4 table and found this last year small games needing depth and at brigade level playing scenarios I don't need the width so hence the trying out  one night games played in 2 to 3 hours. 3 being the maximum.
I thought if I can do that with DBMM I can do it with Napoleonic.
Regards

Mike L

Leon

Quote from: Dragoon on 30 May 2021, 12:40:42 AM
When are the Brits going to be in the shop for sale?

We're probably looking around September time I think?  I need to have a catch-up with the sculptor and see where we are at the moment.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!