Some Noob questions

Started by TanSteel, 24 March 2021, 03:33:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TanSteel

My gaming group just started BKC4 and have played two learning games so far.
We have a few (probably noob) questions.

Rulebook
Just for confirmation.
When I bought the rules from Wargamevault, they gave me two pdf's
One was named BKCIV and the other BKCIVMar20.
I'm assuming BKCIVMar20 is the latest as I remember reading that an errata'd version came out on Mar 20 last year.
Is this correct?

Mobile Deployment Blunder
If a command blunder roll of 1 or 2 is rolled, we need to test each unit in the command to see if they are KO.
Does this include the HQ unit?

Dig In
Can a unit "dig in" twice in different directions to gain 180˚ protection?

Firing
1. Can a unit fire AP at AFV's to suppress them? If yes, is it "6" to suppress or the normal "to-hit" number.
2. Does Smoke Ammo use the AP or AT range stats?

Close Assaults
1. Can infantry with no AT weapons cause hits on AFV's in Close Assault, or can they only suppress them?
2. If an unlimbered Gun loses a CA, is it destroyed since it cannnot retreat?
   What about unlimbered Guns in support of an assault?

Equipment
1. Trucks are normally listed as Transport(2).
   Can a single truck unit transport 2x ART units (eg 2x 17Pdrs)?
2. The German 88mm AA guns don't have an AA value. Is it listed somewhere or can they be only used for ground attack?
3. The StuG III is sometimes listed with the ability "Low Profile" and sometimes not. Is this intentional?

Off Board Arty.
1. In a recent forum post, it was said that ambush points and scheduled artillery targets can be used as registered
   targets for FAO-requested arty strikes.
   I would assume the FAO still needs to have LOS to these points before calling in the strike?

Thanks for any answers.

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

First Hi

Some answers - No for digging in - but it gives full protection all round to infantry.

Firing - Yes if a unit has no AT value it can surpress wiyth AP on a 6. Smoke shells are modified HE ones and therefore range the same - sp AP range

Close assault - Yes infantry with no AT factor can CA an armoured vehicle and guns in a lossing CA are destroyed.

Equipment - One truck - one gun. They may carry more infantry. Advice is to use one vehicle for 1 element. HAA is generic - all guns are the same. Stugs look like an error

FAO need a line of sight to hit a registered point.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno II

Welcome to the forum, TS. :-h

Cheers - Phil. :)

Big Insect

Answers below in line (& welcome aboard):

Quote from: TanSteel on 24 March 2021, 03:33:21 AM
My gaming group just started BKC4 and have played two learning games so far.
We have a few (probably noob) questions.

Rulebook
Just for confirmation.
When I bought the rules from Wargamevault, they gave me two pdf's
One was named BKCIV and the other BKCIVMar20.
I'm assuming BKCIVMar20 is the latest as I remember reading that an errata'd version came out on Mar 20 last year.
Is this correct?
> YES - this contains the post launch errata

Mobile Deployment Blunder
If a command blunder roll of 1 or 2 is rolled, we need to test each unit in the command to see if they are KO.
Does this include the HQ unit?
. YES - all units, including Command units (including FAO, FAC, Recce & Sniper Teams)

Dig In
> NO - one dig in gives infantry 360% protection

Firing
1. Can a unit fire AP at AFV's to suppress them? If yes, is it "6" to suppress or the normal "to-hit" number.
> normal to hit
2. Does Smoke Ammo use the AP or AT range stats?
> Smoke is HE type ammo, so use AP range

Close Assaults
1. Can infantry with no AT weapons cause hits on AFV's in Close Assault, or can they only suppress them?
> Yes - as long as they have a CA factor they can assault armour
2. If an unlimbered Gun loses a CA, is it destroyed since it cannot retreat?
   What about unlimbered Guns in support of an assault?
> it is also destroyed as it cannot fall-back

Equipment
1. Trucks are normally listed as Transport(2).
   Can a single truck unit transport 2x ART units (eg 2x 17Pdrs)?
:) > No - but it can tow 1 gun (or support weapon) and carry 1 infantry unit - but generally most players play this on a 1 to 1 basis, as the unit carried is deemed to be the weapon crew (* that probably needs clarification in the next errata round)

2. The German 88mm AA guns don't have an AA value. Is it listed somewhere or can they be only used for ground attack?
> Yes, that is correct - the view was taken in playtesting that the 88 was not that helpful at interdicting low-level fast moving air attacks on the battlefield. In the game it is much more of an anti-armour or anti-fortification weapon - one of the larger Italian AA guns is similar. They are just not agile enough for close AA support. Good against higher-altitude bombers and as such are deemed to be part of the overall Air Defense rating of the army

3. The StuG III is sometimes listed with the ability "Low Profile" and sometimes not. Is this intentional?
> No - it is an error - could you point me at where you have spotted it please - all StuG's are low profile - thanks

Off Board Arty.
1. In a recent forum post, it was said that ambush points and scheduled artillery targets can be used as registered
   targets for FAO-requested arty strikes.
   I would assume the FAO still needs to have LOS to these points before calling in the strike?
> Yes - some players will put the FAO in the ambush as it helps to ensure that the distance to the target is minimum - this is a 'Danger-Close' type situation  :)

Thanks for any answers.

A pleasure - hope you enjoy the game - interested to hear how you get on.

Cheers
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

TanSteel

First of all, thanks for all the welcomes and answers.

Quote from: Big Insect on 24 March 2021, 11:10:03 AM
Dig In
> NO - one dig in gives infantry 360% protection

Ok, Infantry get 360° protection. What about Guns?
The reason we asked is this passage in page 20.
"Enemy units attempting to fire from a 90 degree angle to the front of the Dug-In unit will suffer a -1d6 modifier to their attack...."
I am also assuming that this is cumulative with the "Low Profile" modifier?

Quote from: Big Insect on 24 March 2021, 11:10:03 AM
> No - it is an error - could you point me at where you have spotted it please - all StuG's are low profile - thanks
In the book, Italy StuGs and StuHs don't have "Low Profile" (p 127), nor do the Early War StuGs (p116)

Our next game is scheduled for sometime April (lots of other games we want to try but got delayed because of covid), I'm sure we will have lots more questions after that.
Thanks again!

Big Insect

Quote from: TanSteel on 25 March 2021, 01:16:52 AM

Ok, Infantry get 360° protection. What about Guns?
The reason we asked is this passage in page 20.
"Enemy units attempting to fire from a 90 degree angle to the front of the Dug-In unit will suffer a -1d6 modifier to their attack...."

> No - guns are only limited because they need to be moved in & out - so have limited rear protection.
I think it is an interesting point about allowing prepared defensive positions (emplacements) for guns - I can see a need for that in the rules and in certain scenarios but I'd suggest that if these are bought (@ 20pts per gun) it would mean that the guns are in effect immobile. I'd suggest that you can pivot them (as a commanded order) up to 90 degrees for each order, within the emplacement. Emplacements provide no cover to area (dropping fire) from artillery, mortars or air attacks.

I am also assuming that this is cumulative with the "Low Profile" modifier? Yes. Although do remember that no accumulative factors can take you above 6 to hit  :)

Hope that helps
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

TanSteel