Seven Years War in India query

Started by Blodwin, 23 March 2021, 01:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blodwin

Hello

Please could anyone assist me with this query?

I am just about to embark on a new project - this being the 2nd Carnatic Wars in southern India during the Seven Years War.

Whilst most of the British and French forces can be found within the Seven Years War range and the Indian forces can be compiled, with a little imagination,  from the ancient, medieval and colonial ranges  - can anyone suggest suitable proxies for the British sepoys?

Also if anyone already has a list of the suitable figures that can be used for the forces involved - please advise.

Your inputs will be greatly appreciated

Many thanks
Blodwin

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Can't answer your qyuestion, but it is customary to welcome newbies. So hi...
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Orcs

Again I am sorry but I cannot answer your query, but no doubt someone will

Welcome to the forum,
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

FierceKitty

This sounds silly, but check the Mahdist range - they and some sepoys may have shared a skullcap.

Welcome aboard. There can never be too many SYW nutters.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Steve J

First of all, welcome on board :). Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything, outside of those ranges already suggested. If you have some pics of what you're after, that might help narrow the options down.

Ithoriel

Firstly, let me add my "welcome to the forum" to the others above!

Not really a period I've had any interest in for decades but I have dim memories that British sepoys were in native smock and turban, with a distinguishing red sash, until after Plassey.  Would MUT7 Barkandaze feudal matchlockmen do, if my memory is correct?

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

Hello Blodwin.

Sorry, I don't go south of the Equator ... or indeed between Malplaquet and Maida.

However, I've had a look and they're some snazzy looking troops. I'd love to see what you come up with.

Anyway, welcome to the Forum.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Sut mae Blodwin,

I go south whenever I get the opportunity, which is not often now I am in my dotage. Welcome to the forum. Sorry but I'm a SYW in Europe fan with not much truck for Robert Clive.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

GrumpyOldMan

Hello Blodwin

Welcome to the forum.

I scratched around to get an idea of what you're after, came across these (got these pics from here https://www.britishbattles.com/anglo-french-wars-in-india/):-

Can't think of anything much that could be used without significant modification. It's their shorts and muskets that make an unlikely pairing with current figures.

Maybe the centre figure from the Indian Mutiny matchlockmen but he has no tunic (centre figure in pic):-

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Ithoriel

GOM, I think those are the post Plassey uniforms, so it depends on what period Blodwin is looking to do.

IIRC, Clive had British uniform coats cut down for the veteran sepoys from Plassey. The two newly raised sepoy forces were in yellow and green jackets respectively. I'm dredging this up from an increasingly erratic memory. I really ought to go a-googling!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno II

Welcome to the forum, Blodwin.  :-h

Cheers - Phil. :)

Steve J

The following links have some useful images, but can't think of anything close, other than doing some conversions for the headgear and a paint job to 'remove' the leggings on the AWI range:

https://www.nam.ac.uk/explore/indian-armies-art

https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2016/02/01/india-east-india-company/

Phil is always looking for things to do......he's never busy.  :P
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Blodwin

I thank everyone for their warm welcome and responses.

I will review all your suggestions and do a little further research on the uniforms of the sepoy troops around 1751 chiefly the siege of Arcot and the battle of Arni.

In the above picture of the elephant ramming the gate at the siege of Arcot, posted by Grumpyoldman, i believe is a representation of a French sepoy.

If the sepoys had bare legs, It's the thought of shaving or filing of the baggy trousers that daunts me - hence my query for an equivalent

In the mean time I will submit an introductory post, to say hello, and let you know how I came by this wonder scale and informative forum.

Thanks Blodwin

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!