ECW test base

Started by 4/10 Painting Studio, 17 March 2021, 04:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4/10 Painting Studio

17 March 2021, 04:56:32 PM Last Edit: 17 March 2021, 08:33:06 PM by Leon
Looking for a switch from Napoleonic's and have tried my hand at some ECW Scottish Artillery. What a nice break from turn backs and straps lol. Next up some romans to see what truly gets the motivation going. Comments and critiques welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Commission Painter for 6-20mm Miniatures based in Germany

Ithoriel

Quote from: 4/10 Painting Studio on 17 March 2021, 04:56:32 PM
Looking for a switch from Napoleonic's and have tried my hand at some ECW Scottish Artillery. What a nice break from turn backs and straps lol. Next up some romans to see what truly gets the motivation going. Comments and critiques welcome

Looking exceptionally good ... now I can see the whole of them.

IMG width= is your friend :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leon

Nice work, I've reduced the pics down a bit for you.  The earthworks look great!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Westmarcher

Looking very good.  :-bd

Quote from: 4/10 Painting Studio on 17 March 2021, 04:56:32 PM
Comments and critiques welcome

Just one feature to finish the gun off. It looks like you've painted the metal clasps that help hold the metal rims onto the wheels but not the metal rims themselves that go round the wheels (the metal rim is to stop the bare wooden wheel being smashed to pieces).  :-B
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

cudders

Excellent work  :-bd

Cudders

Techno II

Terrific !  :-bd

Cheers - Phil. :)

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd =D>

I agree with Westmarcher's suggestion on the wheel rims
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

4/10 Painting Studio

Quote from: Westmarcher on 17 March 2021, 09:43:30 PM
Looking very good.  :-bd

Just one feature to finish the gun off. It looks like you've painted the metal clasps that help hold the metal rims onto the wheels but not the metal rims themselves that go round the wheels (the metal rim is to stop the bare wooden wheel being smashed to pieces).  :-B
Ahhh good catch, totally missed that 😣, luckily think I can get the brush on it. Thanks for the heads up

4/10 Painting Studio

Quote from: Leon on 17 March 2021, 08:36:16 PM
Nice work, I've reduced the pics down a bit for you.  The earthworks look great!
Ahhh thank you, I'll try to get the sizing like this for any future pics

The_Wrong_Khovanskiy

This is very nice, it has so much character.

DHautpol

Very nice.

I like the way you've captured the look of an iron gun barrel. I've made several attempts at painting iron guns and not been happy with the outcomes.  The usual result has been "S*d It", I'll do them as bronze, which I can do a lot better. 

2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2018 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

4/10 Painting Studio

Quote from: DHautpol on 31 March 2021, 04:00:53 PM
Very nice.

I like the way you've captured the look of an iron gun barrel. I've made several attempts at painting iron guns and not been happy with the outcomes.  The usual result has been "S*d It", I'll do them as bronze, which I can do a lot better. 
Yes can be tricky, the trick is to get it to still look black even though it has that metallic look to it like an iron skillet for cooking. Check out "How to Paint an Empire Cannon" by Painting Hack on YouTube. I used his
Method which works on this smaller
Scale. Basically start with black and dry
Brush with mixing in a bit more
Silver everytime.

DecemDave

very nice.  Love the mud.