Practice Napoleonic French cuirassiers

Started by KeithS, 17 March 2021, 01:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithS

17 March 2021, 01:32:09 PM Last Edit: 17 March 2021, 01:38:06 PM by KeithS
Being new to 10mm and before getting stuck into my Pendraken figures I thought that I would have a practice with some 10mm Redline French cuirassiers that I had lying around from a speculative purchase a while back.  They are, as far as I can tell, slightly smaller than Pendraken but would still work on the table although not mixed in a unit.  As I bought them a few years back I thought that I would have a look at their site, but they appear to have gone defunct a short while ago.  Please bear in mind that it isn't a particularly good photo as my camera phone isn't really up to macro photography, plus as ever figures this size aren't really meant to be seen close up, but give a good mass effect on the tabletop.  I have also settled on gloss varnishing for the figures, which while giving a pleasing (at least to me)  'toy soldier' look doesn't make for good photographs close up due to too much light reflection.  I have also just gone for painted rather than flocked bases, partly from laziness and partly as the realistic grass look might clash with the glossiness of the figure.  Still there is always the option of flocking, and indeed overpainting with matt varnish at a later date.
I'll bring up the rest of the brigade.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Better photo than I could manage. Good paint job but the bases would look better with flock instead of gloss paint.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

KeithS

The bases look pretty bad because it is so close up, the flaws are less noticeable from a distance.  Nevertheless I take your point although I may try matt varnishing the bases first before going full flock.
I'll bring up the rest of the brigade.