ECW Project start

Started by cudders, 16 March 2021, 11:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 08 April 2021, 07:27:43 PM
90+figure infantry units were the 'norm' back in the 70's at my club. I had several such units as well several 27 strong cavalry units (regiments we called them).

15mm Minifigs cavalry came 3 to a strip so buying 9 strips to get a unit was easy to do. 9 bases, each base square with 3 figures in close order in 3 ranks of 3 made manouvering nice and tidy.

Ithoriel of this ilk may well remember taking part although he was but a lad at the time :)

My first contact with SESWC was an enormous 25mm Waterloo game put on in Edinburgh University's Appleton Tower. There I met Jimmy Conquer, who it turned out lived near me and he inveigled me into joining the club. Didn't take long to get introduced to Jim, Big Iain and Wee Ian and various others only too happy to point to some figures and say,"those are your troops, we need you to ...." God was definitely on the side of the big battalions! :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

pierre the shy

09 April 2021, 09:50:15 AM #61 Last Edit: 09 April 2021, 10:09:30 AM by pierre the shy
Quote from: DecemDave on 08 April 2021, 02:36:02 PM
I have a question to this special interest group :  How are you representing a forlorn hope unit?  Same size and layout as commanded musket or not?  Different coat colours?  

For what its worth this is how we depict forlorn hope units when using "For King and Parliament" - These pictures depict Montrose's Irish Brigade folorn hope and commanded shot units (the figures are actually from Lancer miniatures).

The overall bases are 90mm wide by 55mm deep with the troops on two 40 by 40mm sabots. Each Sabot has 2 ranks of 3 shot plus one sabot will have a command figure as well....

Only 13 figures per base in total  ;)

And for commanded shot the bases are 130mm wide by 55mm deep with the troops on two 40 by 30mm sabots. Each sabot has 2 ranks of 5 shot plus two command figures on a 40 by 10mm sabot. The rest of the sabots are left empty.

Hope that gives you some ideas to work from.

Good luck with your project  :)

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

DecemDave

Thanks mmcv and Pierre the Shy for your ideas.  The FK&P version fits perfectly with the rest of the scheme I'm using so I'll go with that.  2 units of mixed coat forlorn hope per side in a looser layout than other units.  I've still got "left over" musketeers from multiple manufacturer so there is scope for a very varied layout on a base as well.    I had done commanded musket as 3 40*30 bases but I also see I can now create some empty (or scenic?) half bases and get more units for free!   

And then on to the wagons

and the generals

and the camp

and the new units as new irresistible figures come out

Aaargh!

cudders

Hi all,

Just had a delivery so I'll be busy this week catching up on the project.  :D

Hopefully have an update at the weekend.

Cheers,

Cudders

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

cudders

10 May 2021, 10:11:56 AM #65 Last Edit: 10 May 2021, 10:18:13 AM by cudders
Hi all,

Well I managed to finish the infantry regiments so I now have 10 completed  :D

I now need some dismounted dragoons and commanded shot. Also I might do a small contingent of scots  :-

Cudders

cudders

Next up is the cavalry.

Six are done now, 2 x Royalist and 4 x Parliament.

I have another two Royalist part done but didn't managed to finish them. Will certainly need a few more though in the future.  :)

Cudders

cudders

Finally a few pics of the entire force thus far.

Hope you like.  :D

Cudders

Ithoriel

I like very much. Well done!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

DecemDave

Quote from: cudders on 10 May 2021, 10:11:56 AM
I now need some dismounted dragoons and commanded shot. Also I might do a small contingent of scots  :-
Cudders

Great Work.  =D> =D>

But dont forget the Forlorn Hopes
or the Wagons
or the Camp
or the limbered artillery
or the unlimbered artillery
and, above all, the sheep.   
:d :d

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mmcv

Techno II

Very nice, indeed !  :-bd

Cheers - Phil  :)

cudders

Thanks chaps  :)

I seem to have misplaced my Light Cannons?  I have two crews and limbers etc but no Cannons expect one wheel in the bag??  :-

So just the two Horse to finish and a bag of dismounted dragoons to paint.

Looks like another order then :D

Cudders

cudders

And I've run out of bases for the horse troops! DOH!

Having a bad day  :o

Cudders