ECW Project start

Started by cudders, 16 March 2021, 11:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudders

Thanks for the comments chaps. Much appreciated.  :)

Not had chance to do anymore yet but hoping to get some time this weekend to get another one done.

I'll update progress as I finish each base.

Cudders

The_Wrong_Khovanskiy

These look great! I love these pike and shot formations.

cudders

21 March 2021, 07:34:23 PM #17 Last Edit: 21 March 2021, 08:04:22 PM by cudders
Hi chaps,

As promised I have manged to get another regiment completed.

This time a Blue one.

I think I may try a horse regiment next time for some variety,

Hope you like  :)

Cudders

Smithy

Lovely work Cudders. Like the basing as well, very effective
Cheers,
Smithy

FierceKitty

This chap may be one to watch, folks.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno II

Brilliant !  :-bd

Cheers - Phil. :)

DecemDave

Impressive quality and speed.  Taken me 10 months to do 20 36-40 figure infantry regiments and they are not even flocked yet.  My only excuse is that I replaced the pikes with longer ones. Good call on single base too.   I went with a complex mix of 40*30 and 40*10 so I ended up in 120*40 sabot bases anyway! If I live long enough to finish the cavalry, the lead pile has a late medieval army and I'll go big base for that for sure.  I am doomed to permanent cadet-dom until I learn to think before painting! 

mmcv

Very nice and lovely basing layout.

Quote from: DecemDave on 24 March 2021, 11:18:25 AM
Impressive quality and speed.  Taken me 10 months to do 20 36-40 figure infantry regiments and they are not even flocked yet.  My only excuse is that I replaced the pikes with longer ones. Good call on single base too.   I went with a complex mix of 40*30 and 40*10 so I ended up in 120*40 sabot bases anyway! If I live long enough to finish the cavalry, the lead pile has a late medieval army and I'll go big base for that for sure.  I am doomed to permanent cadet-dom until I learn to think before painting! 

I went with pretty much the same mix myself when it started ECW a few years back and didn't like it in the end. I have since started rebasing to single 80x40 bases. Well, I've started pulling figures off the mix of bases and trying out different combinations on new single ones to find the right layout.

Will cut down the number of figures needed per unit and be easier to move about. I've yet to come across a ruleset that really needs separate basing for the parts and while it gives a little flexibility in terms of pike/shot ratios, it's still needing different sized bases for that anyway so I'd be better just doing them diorama style.

Best doing it now as getting the urge to do some ECW and no point doing new units in the old style.

cudders

Hi guys,

Thanks again for the comments.

Regarding basing I also used to have a mix of bases but the single base works much better and i think looks better too.

One unforeseen issue with my two bases is that the 100x50 bases have warped..one more than the other so tonight I have hacked one to bits and started to rebase it on 80x50.

I think this will be better and also save a couple of figures.

I'll update this weekend when I also hope to have completed a horse regiment  :D

Cudders

cudders

Hi chaps,

First pic is the re-sized blue regiment onto a 80x50.

Here's my first horse regiment. Again on a 80x50 base.

Another angle

Here are both ready for battle  :D

Next is more pikemen and musketeers.

Cudders

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd

One thing I have found that helps limit warping is to paint the undersides of the base as well as the top. You are probably already doing this
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno II

Excellent !  :-bd

Cheers - Phil. :)

DecemDave

Really loving those bases.  Question is do I have the energy to re-base?  (Again!!) 
I've not experienced warping.  I liberally coat mdf bases in mdf sealant before painting.  Maybe that helped? 

fred.

Big bases are good - but do limit which game systems you can use them with.

Sabot bases are great, Leon has cut various sized ones for me so that I can take a number of figures I already have on 40x20mm or 40x40mm bases and use them for games with 100x50mm or 125mm x 50mm unit basing
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts