Forces for 1940 WW2

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 16 March 2021, 07:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider4

Quote from: ianrs54 on 18 March 2021, 11:15:09 AM
Bovy do have a tendancy to use made up schemes though....

I didn't say it was accurate, I just said it was there :)

John Cook

Quote from: Lord Speedy of Leighton on 17 March 2021, 06:08:49 PM
The info I had was universal grey came in AFTER  the Fall of France, but as we often know, I am wrong on a great many things.

You are absolutely right on this point and have done your research.  Sometimes the answer is 'nobody knows' but not in this case.

I wouldn't trust any paint scheme applied by museums and the claims by Zaloga, and others, that the Wehrmacht painted its vehicles overall dark grey by 1940 is based, apparently, on faulty analysis of black and white period photographs.  The trouble is that in period monochrome imagery, as you point out, and demonstrate in the monochrome shots of your nicely executed models, the two colours are almost indistinguishable and the finish appears to be a uniform tone.   

The two colours are very dark.  The brown is close to Vallejo Chocolate Brown, and although Vallejo Black Grey is probably closer to the grey colour, I find Vallejo Basalt Grey is plenty dark enough for miniatures, particularly after a wash of black, and dry-brushing.

Here are a couple of authoritative articles on the subject of Wehrmacht camouflage and anything else is, frankly, speculation.  The Kfz.der Wehrmacht site is especially useful on all things to do with German army vehicles.

https://panzerworld.com/german-armor-camouflage
http://www.kfzderwehrmacht.de/Homepage_english/Miscellaneous/Camouflage_finish/camouflage_finish.html

The dunkelbraun Nr45/dunkelgrau Nr46 scheme was ordered on 12 July 1937.  It applied to all vehicles, except motorcycles and some staff cars which were solely dark grey.  This two-tone pattern remained the prescribed scheme until 12 June 1940, after which dark grey became the prescribed universal colour for all vehicles.

Having said all that I have to confess that, on the basis of mistaken received wisdom, my early Wehrmacht tanks and vehicles are uniformly dark grey. 

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Nice feedback, thank you.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

cudders

Cracking as usual  :-bd

Cudders

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Two more Panzer IIIE

Menicingly on the prowl

Maybe we will go this way

And we HAD to have some recon!

Which way round does it go?

Here we go here we go
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Techno II

I like those lots !  :-bd

Cheers - Phil. :)

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Panzer IVd

Drat, did not notice the flock!

And motorcyclists!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

GRV136 Panzer IIC done and added to my Western European theatre Germans - what a model

Can see where the idea for the Dalek came from

Trundle trundle

It looks soooo cool, thank you Leon

Love the hatch details

Dakka

Now some French
SOMUA S35s

Looking mean

Really impressive figures, must not put off painting these for so long

Back view

Quite a tank

Here they come

Renault R35s

Not sure a one man turret was the best plan

Here we go

Back view

Allez

Waiting for trouble

Mean and moody, might risk the Panhard next.

French infantry

Ready...

Good news, they're on home soil

Few more squads to go after this

Come up quite well

Moving on

Hold the line, they'll never get through here!

bigjackmac

Pretty sexy, but can they fight!!?? ;)

V/R,
Jack

DHautpol

Very nice, I particularly like the camouflage on the French tanks.

I've sometimes thought about doing WWII for the "Battle of France" period; basically attracted by the "Heath Robinson" appearance of the tanks.

I'm also very taken with the basing, what did you use for the green bushes on the tank bases?  I used some Woodland Scenics "Briar Patch" for my tree bases and it was a nightmare to work with. It was very crumbly and it was like trying to glue down Shredded Wheat.  The stuff is probably fine for 28mm, but just broke up when trying to use small quantities.
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2018 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Faller dark green clump folliage, watered down pva under and over

DHautpol

QuoteFaller dark green clump folliage, watered down pva under and over

Thanks, I'll look out for some of that; gives a nice dense look.
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2018 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!