How to post photographs - help.

Started by steve_holmes_11, 15 March 2021, 01:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve_holmes_11

I (and a friend) can't figure out how to post our photos to the site.
There's a mechanism to insert an image which requires the web address of the photo.
Nothing that I can see to post the picture direct to site (This may be deliberate to keep site traffic to sensible levels).

Could a kind soul please walk me (and friend) through a simple process to get a picture on the site.
I'd imagine this would be something like:

1. Upload the photo to a popular public picture sharing site.
    Suggestions for ones with a reliable (and preferably free) service would be extremely helpful.
    I recall seeing a lot of pages on other forums with non-pictures grumbling about unable to access - best to avoid sites that do this.

2. Figure out the URL of the upload, and paste it into a Pendraken post.

Help (as described above) most welcome. Thank you.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I have no idea but there are several threads on it, do a search on here.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

mmcv

I made a guide using Imgur here: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,20026.0.html which I hope will be helpful.

It's probably one of the most straightforward ways, though the process of using other photo sharing sites would be fairly similar.

You can add images directly to a post using the > Additional Options link under the window you type replies into. There is an "Attach: Choose File" option when it expands out that you can use to add images, but the size of those images is severely limited, so you'd probably need to edit it to make it fit, which makes using an image hosting service the better option generally.

jimduncanuk

I post my photographs on my blog then copy the URL and paste it into a forum message.

Having a blog means you can associate some text with each image.

Helps with you references and lets others (non-Pendraken members) see your work.
My Ego forbids a signature.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: mmcv on 15 March 2021, 01:29:36 PM
I made a guide using Imgur here: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,20026.0.html which I hope will be helpful.

It's probably one of the most straightforward ways, though the process of using other photo sharing sites would be fairly similar.

You can add images directly to a post using the > Additional Options link under the window you type replies into. There is an "Attach: Choose File" option when it expands out that you can use to add images, but the size of those images is severely limited, so you'd probably need to edit it to make it fit, which makes using an image hosting service the better option generally.

Thanks, signed up for imgur today.
The first few uploads were a bit wonky - it either takes time to complete registration, or I was unfortunate.
Logged back in and things are looking far better.
Tests below:

steve_holmes_11

Those are a bit big.
At least they're not eating into Leon's storage ration.

Raider4

kipt

I wonder if spraying the plastic base with a matte spray would hide them more?

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: kipt on 15 March 2021, 07:49:27 PM
I wonder if spraying the plastic base with a matte spray would hide them more?

Handy tip - thank you.

My other take-aways from those photos.
* A white beach towel does not look like clouds.
* White things don't photograph white when lit by a setting sun.

steve_holmes_11

Another test: My new gaming dining table in all its glory.
Using Imgur's "medium thumbnail" scale.

Fear not.
I have not abandoned the "reduced scale gaming club".
Indeed I now have space to host big "reduced scale" games.
I can also host two in parallel - handy for those counter-marching mini campaigns(Waterloo anybody).

The old table was 3' x 4' with flames of war type rounded corners.
This one is approx 3'6" x 8', but pill base shaped.
It offers space outside the battlefield to organise reinforcements, casualties, die rolling, rule books, QRSs, and unit rosters (and maybe the occasional snifter).

Alternatively it can seat eight for a friendly meal.

Update: Looks good, I expect to use a mix of medium and large thumbnails for future posts.

mmcv

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 17 March 2021, 05:28:17 PM
Another test: My new gaming dining table in all its glory.
Using Imgur's "medium thumbnail" scale.

Fear not.
I have not abandoned the "reduced scale gaming club".
Indeed I now have space to host big "reduced scale" games.
I can also host two in parallel - handy for those counter-marching mini campaigns(Waterloo anybody).

The old table was 3' x 4' with flames of war type rounded corners.
This one is approx 3'6" x 8', but pill base shaped.
It offers space outside the battlefield to organise reinforcements, casualties, die rolling, rule books, QRSs, and unit rosters (and maybe the occasional snifter).

Alternatively it can seat eight for a friendly meal.

Update: Looks good, I expect to use a mix of medium and large thumbnails for future posts.

A very acceptable field of battle(s). Good show.

If you find the preset sizes from imgur don't suit you can define sizes easily enough in the img tag, e.g. if i wanted to make it small I could give it a 200 width (200 pixels).

[img width=200]https://i.imgur.com/TVD2dl5m.jpg[/img]