Rommel dropping his Es

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 12 March 2021, 07:35:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quick question.
Just purchased the dessert German starter pack which comes with lovely new PZIIIE.
The amendments say Es are dropped.
Oh.
Thats a lot of surplus armour...
Yet my research (Wikipedia) claims Rommel had 'limited numbers' and was using them up to Hell Fire Pass, but moaning about their lack of a decent gun. Can I still use them as early-early dessert?
What about the lovelier new F sculpts?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Wil some  "E's" did get upgunned, and visually the difference is marginal. No long 50's arrived till Gazala in 42.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

steve_holmes_11

I hear that Rommel wasn't alone.

flamingpig0

"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

Jerboa

Is it too late to substitute G/H?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

The Es are already on my painting desk...
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Big Insect

Not quite sure who 'drove' that amendment to the Afrika Korp list Lemmy. I'd have to dig back into the archives.

But if 'E's were used at Halfaya Pass (Hellfire Pass) that would have been in Oct'41, so some 'E's would be available.

The Wiki entry for the PZIII states:

Aside from use in Europe, the Panzer III also saw service in North Africa with Erwin Rommel's renowned Afrika Korps. Most of the Panzer IIIs with the Afrika Korps were equipped with the KwK 38 L/42 50mm (short-barrelled) tank gun, with a small number possessing the older 37mm main gun of earlier variants. The Panzer IIIs of Rommel's troops were capable of fighting against British Crusader cruiser and US-supplied M3 Stuart light tanks with positive outcomes, although they did less effectively against Matilda II infantry tanks and American M3 Lee/Grant tanks fielded by the British starting from early 1942. In particular, the 75mm hull-mounted gun of the Lee/Grant tank could easily destroy a Panzer III far beyond the latter's own effective firing range, as is true for the US M4 Sherman, which also saw service with British forces alongside Lees/Grants in North Africa beginning in the middle of 1942.

My 15mm PZIIIE's are the short barrelled version.

So I'd say 'paint way' and I'll double check that amendment.
Cheers
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

sultanbev

More recent sources indicate all the Panzer IIIs sent to North Africa were 5cmL42 armed:
71x Panzer III went in 5th Panzer Regiment in early 1941, of which most were Ausf G, some Ausf F and 4-5x Ausf H. All armed with 5cmL42 gun, and all but the H variant with only 3cm frontal armour.

8th Panzer Regiment had 51x Panzer IIIH, 21x Panzer IIIF and G, all armed with 5cmL42 and the Ausf H with extra hull frontal armour.

See Tank Combat in North Africa, Thomas Jentz, Schiffer Military History (1998) ISBN 0-7643-0226-4
Panzer Truppen vol.1 also by Jentz from 1996 repeats the same.

if there has been newer information published since then someone please reference it.
I consider the older references to 3.7cm armed Panzer IIIs were in fact Befehlspanzer III command tanks with dummy guns.

kustenjaeger

I agree that there were no Ausf E in North Africa. Jentz provides sources for the Pzkw III initially shipped to Africa.

Regards

Edward

Big Insect

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

So, keep my Es in grey for Western Europe and Poland then...

Ace of Spades

Working on a 20mm DAK project and was wondering about this too. Good to know!

Thanks,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Quote from: mad lemmey on 12 March 2021, 07:35:56 AM
Quick question.
Just purchased the dessert German starter pack, which comes with lovely new PZIIIE.

Chocolate tanks?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Big Insect

Mmmmm ... melts in zi mouf!

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021