Consistency - ever heard of it?

Started by Raider4, 09 March 2021, 08:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

I always think in parsecs. Helps to get the Big Picture.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

But isn't a parsec like a light year, a measure of time ?
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno II

12 March 2021, 07:38:22 AM #17 Last Edit: 12 March 2021, 08:19:09 AM by Techno II
No, Matey.

It's a unit of 'length' equivalent to roughly 19 trillion miles or 31 trillion kilometers.
That nice Han Solo has got a lot to answer for.

You may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's.....But that's just peanuts to space. ;)

Cheers - Zaphod.  :)

goat major

Astronomers were amazed to find out that 1 parsec is also the same as 1 hex in Traveller. What a coincidence
My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

Raider4

Quote from: Heedless Horseman on 12 March 2021, 04:03:32 AM
Was taught 'Feet' and 'Inches' as a kid...BUT, THEN, 'they' went 'Metric', so never have been able to get my head around 'fractions'! :(

I was taught metric only in schools, but grew up around people who only thought imperial. So feet, inches, yards, miles, gallons and pints all ake sense to me.

The thing I never got was fractions of an inch. In understand what 3/16" means - I just can't visualise it.

Quote from: Heedless Horseman on 12 March 2021, 04:03:32 AM
So: 'Big' is in 'Yards / Feet / inches', 'Small' in mm!  ;D

Bit like temperatures - hot is Farenheit, cold is CentigradeCelsius (in the UK at least).

Although when an American says it's 12° outside, don't think "Oh, that's pleasantly mild", okay?

Quote from: Raider4 on 12 March 2021, 08:28:53 AM

Although when an American says it's 12° outside, don't think "Oh, that's pleasantly mild", okay?

Although that would be a heat wave for a Canadian.

Blame that nice Mr Barker for the Imperial/Metric mixes, all his ancient rules had metric bases and moves in inches.

Scorpio_Rocks

UK building industry has always used both simultaneously - plaster board etc has always been sold as "x mm" thick in "8' x 4'" sheets
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

goat major

And the UK steel industry although notionally metric sells in dimensions that are based on imperial ..... so a 254x146 beam is 10" x 5  3/4 inches
My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

Steve J

The same with timber and mdf sheets, which are basically still imperial measurements, but now converted to the nearest equivalent cm.

Raider4

And the 76.2mm gun was popular in WW2.

Why 76.2mm? That's an odd figure. Why pick that? Oh, it's 3 inches . . .

Orcs

You have to be careful when quoting calibre when looking at Russian stuff, certainly post ww2.

In Viktor Suvorov's book 'Inside the Soviet Army' he states that even though a weapon may have a calibre in its name,  It does not mean that is actually the calibre of the weapon.

They change the 'official calibre ' to avoid  supplying the incorrect ammunition. I no longer have the book, so cannot mention the specific weapons h quoted.

eg a rocket with a real calibre of 150mm, may be called a 155mm rocket. So when you call through to request additional ammo the person at the end knows its for a rocket launcher and not a 150mm howitzer.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Raider4

12 March 2021, 08:24:40 PM #26 Last Edit: 12 March 2021, 08:26:49 PM by Raider4
Yeah . . . I'm pretty sure the ~35k T-34 tanks produced (not using the 85mm gun) and the ~14k SU-76 both had 3"76.2mm guns fitted to them.

And also yeah . . . I'm aware that (e.g.) the Comet tank had what was known as the 77mm gun, just so they could differentiate. But again, it was fitted with a 3"76.2mm.

Same applies to some German weapons such as the sK100mm which is actually 105mm.

Last Hussar

Wasn't the 17 pdr ammo referred to as 77mm to make sure you didn't get the wrong 76mm?
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

fsn

I thought the 17pdr ammo was 17pdr, but the short 17pdr fitted in the Comet was 77mm.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!