Consistency - ever heard of it?

Started by Raider4, 09 March 2021, 08:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider4

From a scenario I've just read:

"A river approximately 4" wide runs across the centre of the table from side to side. 12' from each side table edge is a ford 120mm wide."

jimduncanuk

My Ego forbids a signature.

sultanbev

That's quite normal in my wargaming. I'll mix imperial and metric all the time - tanks have speed in kmh, armour in cm, angles in degrees, guns in mm, penetration in cm, weight in tons, dimensions in feet, aircraft range in miles, firing range in metres.

Shock horror I even use dice with different numbers of sides together  :o

Inches are still good size though, metric missed out there when it didn't make an equivalent unit.

It probably helps I can convert both in my head, eg knowing 15" is 38cm or whatever, or know the conversion ratios off by heart, eg 1.61kmh to 1mph.
:)

Mark

Ithoriel

Quote from: Raider4 on 09 March 2021, 08:46:59 PM
From a scenario I've just read:

"A river approximately 4" wide runs across the centre of the table from side to side. 12' from each side table edge is a ford 120mm wide."

Twelve feet from each side table edge!!!!! How big a table are we looking at? Answers in either metric or imperial are fine. Though preferably not in rods/ poles/ perches!! 
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

flamingpig0

I was taught in metric but know imperial due to wargame rules- using both seems quite natural
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

Orcs

I quite often fnd myself looking for a piece of weed in the garage for a job thats 38" X 20mm.  Its whatever is the nearest on the tape measure
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Steve J

At school I started in Imperial, then we had to transition to metric (I can still remember the wooden rules we were given with cm's on them to help learn). In my former work everything small was in millimetres (never cm's) yet making furniture or bigger 'things' I still use Imperial.

sultanbev

Quote from: Orcs on 10 March 2021, 01:33:55 AM
I quite often fnd myself looking for a piece of weed in the garage for a job thats 38" X 20mm.  Its whatever is the nearest on the tape measure

A piece of weed ?

That's one hella of a spliff! ;D

mmcv

Quote from: Ithoriel on 09 March 2021, 10:55:48 PM
Twelve feet from each side table edge!!!!! How big a table are we looking at? Answers in either metric or imperial are fine. Though preferably not in rods/ poles/ perches!! 

This was my thinking,I think the correct measurement for a table of those dimensions is "bloody massive".

I learned metric growing up, while Imperial was only used conversationally for human heights and weights and road distances.

For smaller measurements though it was always metric so wargaming has taught me some useful conversion skills with inches and cm. Though I do mostly use metric for measurements as often gaming in small spaces.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

WEll I have plaed on tables over 30 ft long, since we had access to the upper floor of an aircraft factory.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

sunjester

Quote from: sultanbev on 10 March 2021, 08:36:58 AM
A piece of weed ?

That's one hella of a spliff! ;D

Beat me to it, Sir!  ;D

Last Hussar

Black Powder has base sizes in mm, and movement in inches. Had to do the maths when I converted them to cm movement.

Also, post lockdown party at the Orcs.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Raider4

Quote from: Last Hussar on 11 March 2021, 07:27:08 PM
Black Powder has base sizes in mm, and movement in inches.

To be fair, an awful lot of games use that convention.

Honourable exceptions are Warmaster, Epic Armageddon and the Commander series, all firmly metric. I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Local DIY store to my mum used metric feet.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Heedless Horseman

12 March 2021, 04:03:32 AM #14 Last Edit: 12 March 2021, 04:06:01 AM by Heedless Horseman
Was taught 'Feet' and 'Inches' as a kid...BUT, THEN, 'they' went 'Metric', so never have been able to get my head around 'fractions'! :(
So: 'Big' is in 'Yards / Feet / inches', 'Small' in mm!  ;D
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)