Scenario and Arty questions

Started by Amra, 09 March 2021, 07:17:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amra

Hi All ,

More games ,more questions :)

1/ If my forces has mobile Deployment , when does the Recce come in ? Does it just move on with the other units after the Commander successfully activates ? Does it roll for its movement (even though its not the Initiative phase ) ?

2/ In Scenario 2 ( Assault) can the defender start dug-in ?

3/ My evil opponent was running 3000 pts of DAK . He took 2 FAOs and each one called in 3 batteries ( so no modifier ) which was 10 dice on anything in the concentration ...each . Was I right to call him names from the smoking hole that was the British or is it a legal choice ?

He pointed out he could've taken the same arty if he was running 1900 pts

4/ If he had included an inaccurate gun in his firing group ,how would you play that ?

Thanks everyone for the help

Big Insect

Hi Amra - answers in-line below

Quote from: Amra on 09 March 2021, 07:17:50 AM
Hi All ,

More games ,more questions :)

1/ If my forces has mobile Deployment , when does the Recce come in ? Does it just move on with the other units after the Commander successfully activates ? Does it roll for its movement (even though its not the Initiative phase ) ?

> you can effectively bring on your recce at any point with mobile deployment - you must dice to give you the multiples of movement and you base your movement from within the table edge deployment range of the CO or HQ the recce is attached to (or which one you want to if not using fixed formations). My 'advice' is don't put your recce on too early (unless they are going to come on in-cover or out of LoS) as they tend to become a bullet-magnet otherwise !

2/ In Scenario 2 ( Assault) can the defender start dug-in ?

> Yes

3/ My evil opponent was running 3000 pts of DAK . He took 2 FAOs and each one called in 3 batteries ( so no modifier ) which was 10 dice on anything in the concentration ...each . Was I right to call him names from the smoking hole that was the British or is it a legal choice ?

He pointed out he could've taken the same arty if he was running 1900 pts

> Firstly - just to check - when you say a concentration you just mean a standard artillery template - not a concentration on a single unit/vehicle?
If the former, then that is correct - not quite sure how you have 10 dice across 3 guns - unless you are using 2 different types of gun?
But yes, that is correct

4/ If he had included an inaccurate gun in his firing group ,how would you play that ?
The whole group is considered to be Inaccurate  - so you are better ordering them separately (IMHO)

Thanks everyone for the help
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Amra

Thanks,
Yes I meant the concentration template
He took 1xHeavy guns ,2x medium guns to make 10 dice . Twice
So ,that seems very powerful

Big Insect

Quote from: Amra on 09 March 2021, 10:01:50 PM

He took 1xHeavy guns ,2x medium guns to make 10 dice . Twice

So he had 6 guns in total - 2 heavy and 4 medium - be careful as some heavy guns can only be commanded in pairs and no other guns can be included in the same order group so there might be a -1 command penalty for including the heavy guns in the same order group. This is also the case with multiple rocket launchers.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Er Hummm - 66 dice Mark. Arttillery is always a problem. Doctrinally both the British and American armies went for observed concentrations once an action started, after fairly short but intense barrages at the start of an attack. In theroy a target could be engaged by every gun in range as thewre was a spearate artillery net. Fire could also be called in by anyone with a radio. The trainedc gunners would take over once the target could be seen. This meant that the British could get 9 batteries of 25pdr and 2 - 4 5.5" batteries down fast, say 10 mins. The Germans had a different doctrine and went for fast response, so if you had a battery assigned to you it would come down in 2-3 minutes but adding in more guns took much longer. Russians were almost entirly planed fire, simlpy becasue they lacked the communications to do it any other way.

Then the Western arimes had developed TOT - Time on Target, which meant that all guns firing arrived at the same time, rather than over several seconds, each battery firing at slightly differing times to hit the target, which gave more effect.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Big Insect

The CWC '66 dice' incident Ian was not 'observed' fire - it was pre-plotted on specific landmarks - such as the chokepoint of the Autobahn bridge over the river and involved all the NATO Army Reserve artillery  :D
NB: it was I have to admit a bit excessive - and it would have just been cheaper to have mined the bridge in the end.

Wit the case that Amra is raising, this is 'observed fire' and as such as restrictions associated with the numbers of guns and the types of guns/rockets involved could apply.

Amra

Looking at the DAK list, there's no arty restrictions and no modifiers for a group of 3 or less guns

I feel like my sniper needs to get busy on the FAO :)

I'd use the eastern front restrictions. Afrika Korps was just that a Corp with standard levels of support fior that size of German formations. It's a Panzer Armee in Tunisia so should get more stuff. I'm reasonably certain that Nebelwerfer wern't avaliable till 43.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Big Insect

Quote from: Amra on 11 March 2021, 02:55:23 PM
Looking at the DAK list, there's no arty restrictions and no modifiers for a group of 3 or less guns

I feel like my sniper needs to get busy on the FAO :)

BKCIV page 47 - Artillery Support
Requesting Artillery Support
Modifiers
-1 per 3 additional units requested
-1 per additional rocket or naval artillery requested

But no -1 for larger calibre guns in BKC