We must be brief when traitors brave the field

Started by FierceKitty, 07 March 2021, 02:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

07 March 2021, 02:55:27 AM Last Edit: 07 March 2021, 04:47:25 AM by FierceKitty
Currently working on two WOTR armies. My play was originally to base them on large sabots for big units, about six per army at most, with really rapid-play rules to use for encounters in Kingmaker. Realising I have enough for two reasonable armies, I've reset to my usual system, with the back-burner project of combining elements on empty but textured bases for use with the boardgame (once the rules exist).

Thus far the forces of the Duke of Buckingham and of Audley are done, and those of Hastings and Clifford, with some Burgundian mercenaries, are under the brush. As an interesting and fairly accurate quirk, I'm putting Henry VI with the baggage, not with a fighting unit ("The queen hath best success when you are absent", as Clifford tells him while suggesting his leadership is not required). At this point, I would solicit advice: I'd really like to include the celebrated Son that hath Killed his Father, and the Father that hath Killed his Son (Hen VI  part 3, II, ii). Are there any suitable figures to be had? While we're at it, any suggestions for figures to make a vignette in the Yorkist baggage showing the death of the little princes? They'd have to be in bed, with someone smothering them....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Steve J

No ideas for figures I'm afraid but an interesting project for sure.

Raider4

Quote from: FierceKitty on 07 March 2021, 02:55:27 AM
. . . any suggestions for figures to make a vignette in the Yorkist baggage showing the death of the little princes? They'd have to be in bed, with someone smothering them....

As a gaming piece? That sounds horrible :(

FierceKitty

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Someone does RIII emerging from a carpark...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

I've seen that one. Funny, but hard to square with the way I'm using him as my sub-general.

Leman

Are you planning this in 10mm. I use 15mm for WOR as there are some very good dedicated ranges out there. Been dabbling in it in 15mm for about 30 years now.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

FierceKitty

Quote from: Leman on 07 March 2021, 11:35:13 AM
Are you planning this in 10mm? I use 15mm for WOR as there are some very good dedicated ranges out there. Been dabbling in it in 15mm for about 30 years now. Cats rule!

Yep. Means I can also use a few of my other renaissance forces to pad our foreign mercenaries, apart from other considerations.

Mine is in 6mm, mainly cause I got it dirt cheap on a bring and buy.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno II

Where did the Duke of Buckingham appear in the War Of The Ring ?

Who's been nicking my ideas ?

Cheers - JRRT. ;)

Raider4

Quote from: Techno II on 07 March 2021, 02:58:54 PM
Where did the Duke of Buckingham appear in the War Of The Ring ?

The link is Orlando Bloom.

Big Insect

07 March 2021, 09:23:41 PM #12 Last Edit: 07 March 2021, 09:29:25 PM by Big Insect
Quote from: mad lemmey on 07 March 2021, 09:33:04 AM
Someone does RIII emerging from a carpark...

I think it was a Perry's miniature 'give-away' at a past Partizan show - but might be available directly from Perry Miniatures - but it is a 28mm miniature.

There are a number of great 'historic' WOTR vignettes that I can think of:

1). Tewkesbury - the enraged Somerset, who's just had his retinue and battle destroyed by Edward's flank attack, dashing out the brains of his ally Wenlock for failing to support him.

2). Barnet - Warwick 'the Kingmaker' cut down as he tries to reach his horse after his army is defeated in the fog by Edward

3). Classically - Richard III - on foot helmetless (& crownless) surrounded by Welsh (Tudor) retainers as he flounders in the wet farmland of Bosworth

4). George, Duke of Clarence being drowned in a barrel of malmsey wine, for one more treacherous attempt against his elder brothers kingship

5). Lambert Simnel being given a job as a kitchen boy by Henry VIIth after his supporters were destroyed at the battle of Stoke Field

6). Towton - a steep banked stream (in a gully) - its snowy banks muddy with frozen slush - running red with blood and choked with Lancastrian dead

7). Lord Lovell - walled up in the priest-hole in Minster Lovell, to starve to death as his retainers flee or are all hunted down & killed

8 ). Lambert Simnel (a young lad) being raised on the shoulders of Irish Bonnaghts in Dublin, ahead of his ill fated attempt to defeat Henry VII

The little princes 'murder' is of course historically well contested ...  and is probably the least historically correct of all of the above.

But where you'd find appropriate 10mm subjects for that vignette I am not at all sure.

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

FierceKitty

08 March 2021, 02:15:37 AM #13 Last Edit: 08 March 2021, 02:28:52 AM by FierceKitty
Add Richard of York in a paper crown after Wakefield, Richard of Gloucester wooing Lady Anne over her father-in-law's body, Henry VI rushing outraged out of a strip-show, Richard III asleep and surrounded by ghosts, Iden catching Cade in his garden, a very rich peasant who's just got a remarkably good price for his horse at Bosworth, a chain-smoking younger Gandalf wondering what happened to Shakespeare....

FierceKitty

Oh, and nobles plucking roses. Bad history, but what a scene.