Russo-Polish War 1654-67

Started by The_Wrong_Khovanskiy, 02 March 2021, 02:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno II

Damn fine looking army.....And if we haven't said it already...

Welcome to the forum, that man !!

Cheers - Phil :)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

AS Phil says (Good Greif i'm agreeing with Phil)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno II

You've obviously got a very high fever...and starting to hallucinate, Ian.  :)

Cheers - Dr Phil.   ;)

Big Insect

Quote from: Glorfindel on 02 March 2021, 09:52:21 PM
>>I think there is a pretty reasonable film about this era - although it might be a bit earlier - all to do with a Polish invasion of Russia.
It might called '1644' or something like that. I need to have a trawl of my DVD collection.

I think the film is "1612".   Pretty good actually with some excellent battle scenes.
Phil

Yes - I thought it was a good film ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1612_(film)
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

The_Wrong_Khovanskiy

Thank you everyone! I'm glad yous found my writing informative and you liked my minis!

Quote from: Techno II on 03 March 2021, 10:21:31 AM
You've obviously got a very high fever...and starting to hallucinate, Ian.  :)
Cheers - Dr Phil.   ;)

I hope not I'm doing some Covid testing in Halewiood from Friday for 8 1/2 days.  :D

The_Wrong_Khovanskiy

Quote from: Big Insect on 02 March 2021, 07:15:58 PM
I think there is a pretty reasonable film about this era - although it might be a bit earlier - all to do with a Polish invasion of Russia.
It might called '1644' or something like that. I need to have a trawl of my DVD collection.

yep, as Phil pointed out, it's "1612". It's a guilty pleasure of mine. Despite it being borderline fantasy with some weird and silly choices in terms of costume and battle tactics, it's such a nice watch. There are so few films about the time period every drop is important.

Techno II

Quote from: ianrs54 on 03 March 2021, 10:59:03 AM
I hope not I'm doing some Covid testing in Halewiood from Friday for 8 1/2 days.  :D

Good for you, Ian !

Just take care, chum.

Stay as safe as poss....Phil. :)

OldenBUA

Good to see these in 10mm, and I'm interested in which codes were used for them.

You might want to have a look at 'By Fire and Sword'. These are rules for this exact period for this exact location. It covers all major and minor armies. They have their own extensive range of 15mm figures as well.

The (free and online) army creator will give you an idea of the armies that can be built: http://ac.oim.wargamer.pl/index.php

The basic rulebook is available as a pdf download: http://www.fireandsword.wargamer.pl/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=folder&Itemid=86

And there are also downloads for the various armies with unit stats, worth it for the potted history and examples of painted units alone.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Quote from: Techno II on 03 March 2021, 11:06:51 AM

Good for you, Ian !

Just take care, chum.

Stay as safe as poss....Phil. :)

Thanks Phil, I am getting paid but would do it for nothing. Only problem is getting there - Mersey rail are running a 50% service so up at 05:30  :'(

Techno II

That's even earlier than me ! :o

Just make sure you're as safe as poss, Matey.

Cheers - Phil.

The_Wrong_Khovanskiy

03 March 2021, 01:32:21 PM #26 Last Edit: 03 March 2021, 01:33:56 PM by The_Wrong_Khovanskiy
Quote from: OldenBUA on 03 March 2021, 11:24:28 AM
Good to see these in 10mm, and I'm interested in which codes were used for them.

You might want to have a look at 'By Fire and Sword'. These are rules for this exact period for this exact location. It covers all major and minor armies. They have their own extensive range of 15mm figures as well.

The (free and online) army creator will give you an idea of the armies that can be built: http://ac.oim.wargamer.pl/index.php

The basic rulebook is available as a pdf download: http://www.fireandsword.wargamer.pl/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=folder&Itemid=86

And there are also downloads for the various armies with unit stats, worth it for the potted history and examples of painted units alone.

Russian reiters: LOA31 (with EC31 mixed in), dragoons: LOA42. Infrantry and streltsy: GNR7. For the pomest'ye cavalry, I mixed in EC31 with ones from Irregular miniatures: TER 16, as well as TC 4, 5, 6, but I wouldn't use those again. For Cossacks I used P10 and P12, and for Tatars OT7. I've some more lying around, some mounted cossacks from Irregular TER range, as inaccurate as their hats are. For Russian lancers I got a pack of standard bearers of EC10 (get those via custom order). To fill out the Cossacks, I got some Polish dragoons and and pancerni too, but those are easy enough to find.

I have seen the "By Fire and Sword", but the rules require a fair bit of markers and I also prefer my minis to be smaller to accommodate larger battles. Unfortunately, as you can see, I do not take the easy way out, for some strange reason. I might try the rules out eventually.

Ben Waterhouse

Lovely stuff, inspirational.
Arma Pacis Fulcra

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!