Russo-Polish War 1654-67

Started by The_Wrong_Khovanskiy, 02 March 2021, 02:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Wrong_Khovanskiy

toxicpixie

Stirring stuff, very inspirational!

How have you got on with Twiglet as a rules set?
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

The_Wrong_Khovanskiy

Quote from: toxicpixie on 09 July 2021, 11:37:28 PM
Stirring stuff, very inspirational!

How have you got on with Twiglet as a rules set?

Thank you very much!
Though I have spotted a factual error in the history part and need to fix it ASAP.

I've played a test game against myself, it was pretty fun, though there are moments that I do not fully understand.

toxicpixie

I really like Twilight, but they approach things rather differently to most wargames rules (and are much the better for it imo!), so we definitely had our share of "whut?!" Moments!

Enjoy editing your history, our understanding of the past is always changing so it's a process not a statement...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

The_Wrong_Khovanskiy

17 July 2021, 11:30:53 AM #64 Last Edit: 17 July 2021, 12:42:37 PM by The_Wrong_Khovanskiy
Hello, I have finally done Russian command, representing real people, no less.

Here are the two I'm most proud of:

First is the command for reiters, Martin Reitz (I do not know what nationality he is, so I do not know how to accurately transcribe his name to English) and his standard bearer. These are cool little figures I got with LOA dragoons, but I decided to use these for reiter command. I think their clothes looks like they're from the future and not late 1650s/early 1660s, but I have to compromise. While I do remember reading how Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich liked his standard bearers and musicians in troops of foreign order wearing western clothes, this may be a bit too much. The little standard is custom made. The little flag has indications of a six-ended cross in the upper corner near the pole, and the other corner has an indication of a star. The number of stars is the number of a rota in a regiment. Therefore this is the flag of the first rota, the colonel's (if I may use this terms) own. The colour of the flag actually has a basis in history, it is mentioned in a Polish document relaying the number of Russian troops at Lyakhovichi.

Next is the command for my streltsy. Earlier I made a mistake, these are not the 5th prikaz, but the Vasili Pushechnikov's 8th prikaz of Moscow streltsy. This prikaz has a very impressive service history in this Russo-Polish war and onwards. A very fun fact is that this prikaz in 1658 at Beshenkovichi fought off a numerically superior force led by Samuil Kmicic, the prototype for Henryk Sienkiewicz's main character in "The Deluge". The standard is also custom-made and made-up by me. We do not actually know what the standard was for this prikaz, we only know most of the colours and amounts of fabrics sent to the remnants of the regiment after their flags were lost at Polonka, which I knocked together into this. It looks decent enough, I think. The guy in the yellow overcoat is Vasili Pushechnikov himself.

Finally, here is Ivan Andreyevich Khovanskiy himself and his standard bearer. That standard was part of the figure, so I only painted it. Khovanskiy himself is actually a little conversion, the body and horse is Irregular Miniatures (I think the Timurid range) while the head is from one of the left-over streltsy. This is much more fitting for one of his ancestors a century earlier, though the shield is still out of place, but once again, compromise. It is totally coincidental that the red colour of the standard is historical too, though it probably had some intricate designs that I do not know and would not want to paint.

A better view. I have not based them properly yet since I might use other bases for them. Polish-Cossack commanders really won't be as interesting and might have to be settled on smaller bases, which might not be very fair.

Techno II

Looking DAMN fine, that man.

Terrific work on those !  :-bd

Cheers - Phil. :)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

The_Wrong_Khovanskiy

Quote from: Techno II on 17 July 2021, 12:56:46 PM
Looking DAMN fine, that man.

Terrific work on those !  :-bd

Cheers - Phil. :)

thank you very much! It was my first time making standards, so I'm happy they turned out better than expected.

nikharwood

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

The_Wrong_Khovanskiy

12 August 2021, 11:27:36 AM #72 Last Edit: 12 August 2021, 11:34:01 AM by The_Wrong_Khovanskiy
Hello, I have finally done these - Dragoons, Cossackised rabble and pancerni

I messed up a bit on the snow application, it is in blobs and got on a few figures.
I have gotten a job and while I can afford more figures, I have less time to actually paint them. Uploads will be even less frequent than now.
I now have to do three units of Russian reiters and two units of Tatars. I might get more western units for Poles too. Plus there's a whole new project to do too.

Steve J

toxicpixie

Ahhh work is the curse of the wargaming classes!

Nice stuff again, hope they hit table soon :)