Russo-Polish War 1654-67

Started by The_Wrong_Khovanskiy, 02 March 2021, 02:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

The_Wrong_Khovanskiy

Sorry for the late reply lads, but thank you all very much!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Glorfindel

I really like these, well done.   The snow effect certainly looks the business.

I've used the same combination (white paint, PVA & baking soda) and found that it is really enhanced if you add a sprinkling of just the baking soda over the
top of the final mixture.   I can't tell from the pics whether you have done this or not.

Although the snow effect sticks well, the first 'post-sprinkle' game does tend to leave little white reminders all over the battlefield !   Nothing too dramatic.

You can also change the mix and add brown paint to give you a great 'mud effect'.   Works really well with 6mm / 10mm vehicles - no care needed, just slap
it on the tank treads or whatever.

Phil

The_Wrong_Khovanskiy

Quote from: Glorfindel on 15 April 2021, 03:28:06 PM
I really like these, well done.   The snow effect certainly looks the business.

I've used the same combination (white paint, PVA & baking soda) and found that it is really enhanced if you add a sprinkling of just the baking soda over the
top of the final mixture.   I can't tell from the pics whether you have done this or not.

Although the snow effect sticks well, the first 'post-sprinkle' game does tend to leave little white reminders all over the battlefield !   Nothing too dramatic.

You can also change the mix and add brown paint to give you a great 'mud effect'.   Works really well with 6mm / 10mm vehicles - no care needed, just slap
it on the tank treads or whatever.

Phil

thank you very much! Thanks for the tip too, but I have heard horror stories of baking soda breaking down and it turning into oily ooze after a few years. I assume you didn't have these problems though, so that is a relief, I'll have to try it out. I wish I knew that I could make mud that way too, I would not have gotten a jar of Vallejo mud.

The_Wrong_Khovanskiy

Quote from: ianrs54 on 15 April 2021, 03:09:17 PM
Do like the snow effect....

thank you! I'm happy that my first attempt doesn't look bad.

The_Wrong_Khovanskiy

08 July 2021, 01:58:00 PM #51 Last Edit: 14 July 2021, 11:16:53 PM by Leon
Hello, I have returned after a long hiatus. My newest addition to the armies are the Belarussian/Lithuanian/Polish gentry and Don Cossacks.

Here is the gentry. As you can see, no uniforms, diverse weapon choices. I mixed in a lot of left-over figures I had from Tatars, Zaporozhian cossacks, Don cossacks and Polish dragoons of all things, since I usually have a few left after I put six horsemen on each base. I initially planned to make them into a light/Tatar banner for Lithuanians/Poles, but that would have only made half a unit, so I reluctantly mixed in other figures too. I suppose I can use them for both Poles and Russians, since Russians did employ them too from the Lithuanian/Belarussian territories they took over. Then again, many of them were inducted into reiters too in the Novgorod regiment. EDIT: No they weren't, only a couple of Belarussian gentry joined the reiters. I read the book wrong.

The Don cossacks. The figures are from Irregular Miniatures, the sculpts aren't very good. I decided to use them since I had them. Don cossacks were painted much like soldiers of foreign order, shades of brown, that is why you cannot see some of them properly. Then again, there is not much to see anyway. Don cossacks fought both on foot and on horse, though predominantly on foot, as was the case with many other free cossacks in that war. Later on in the Novgorod regiment, many of them were also induced into reiters, serving alongside Russian gentry and lower ranks of serving people, as well as peasants. I have decided to use them as light cavalry.

I have incorporated dead and wounded into this one. One is lying dead with his horse, another one was shot and his horse was wounded in the legs, though you can barely see it. They both were done like that because the casting didn't go too well and the horse legs literally had gaps in them. Sorry that the photos aren't very good, I tool them on an iPad.

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Steve J

DecemDave

Nice effects and admirable use of damaged castings.

I wonder how Oliver and the New Noddle would have coped with "hordes" of Cossacks?

actually I daren't wonder too much or it will be yet another project for the 2030s

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

The_Wrong_Khovanskiy

Quote from: DecemDave on 08 July 2021, 04:05:36 PM
Nice effects and admirable use of damaged castings.

I wonder how Oliver and the New Noddle would have coped with "hordes" of Cossacks?

actually I daren't wonder too much or it will be yet another project for the 2030s

Thanks! I really wanted to do casualties for this.
Oh no, don't give me ideas! I already ordered another starter army and planning another, I don't need more!

Techno II

Very nice, indeed !

Cheers - Phil. :)